[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Clarified

bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.222315.86974@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>, bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>         I'm under the *impression* that the 1.2/1.3 rom in the A500 is 256
> Kbytes, that 2.0 will need a 512 Kbyte rom, that a standard 512 Kbyte rom
> is not pin compatible with a 256 Kbyte rom, and that if a 2.0 rom is released
> of the A500 it may need an adaptor unit to plug into the rom socket on the
> motherboard. What am I getting at ?

        I've been informed by several people that the ROM in the A500
*is* a 512 Kbyte chip, so my origional question about adaptor sockets
and clearance for the 68000 socket has been answerd. According to what
I have been told, there is no need for a ROM adaptor, so there will be
no clearance problems for the 68000 socket.

>         I'm not a hardware expert. All of the above is personal speculation
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          I seem to have well and truely established this as fact ;-)

           Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  bull@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                      Alias: Gareth Bull, The Opal Dragon
                    DOD# 251  '84 VF 750   Closet Ducatisti
       Disclaimer: "It's a cruel world when you can't afford a Ducati."

greg@pfloyd.lonestar.org (Greg Harp) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun29.011511.86980@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>In article <1991Jun27.222315.86974@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>, bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>>         I'm under the *impression* that the 1.2/1.3 rom in the A500 is 256
>> Kbytes, that 2.0 will need a 512 Kbyte rom, that a standard 512 Kbyte rom
>> is not pin compatible with a 256 Kbyte rom, and that if a 2.0 rom is released
>> of the A500 it may need an adaptor unit to plug into the rom socket on the
>> motherboard. What am I getting at ?
>
>        I've been informed by several people that the ROM in the A500
>*is* a 512 Kbyte chip, so my origional question about adaptor sockets
>and clearance for the 68000 socket has been answerd. According to what
>I have been told, there is no need for a ROM adaptor, so there will be
>no clearance problems for the 68000 socket.

Actually, since the high address line is on the wrong pin in older A500s
(I don't know exactly what revision, but the schematic in my manual has
it wrong.) there will need to be some sort of adapter.

BTW, could someone from C= please clarify exactly which motherboard revisions
will and won't need such a device?

--
-------greg@pfloyd.lonestar.org---greg@pfloyd.UUCP---egsner!pfloyd!greg-------
"How I wish.  How I wish you were here.  We're just two lost souls swimming in