[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Why not ?

sysop@apd.zer.sub.org (06/29/91)

Hello,
why does commodore configure the A3000 with ROMs next time ?
Since it`s better to replace the ROMs with EEPROMS...
With EEPROMS on the motherboard the new Kickversion can stored in the
EEPROMS....

The result is never problem with Kickupdates....
Ciao

SYSOP@APD.ZER

Lieber ne Brille auf der Nase       APD Club-Mailbox, 06372 7137
als ein Dorn im Auge...             300-38400, V32 - V42.bis, HST-DS

chiu@ucsee.berkeley.edu (06/30/91)

In article <9106290101.10.2230@APD> sysop@apd.zer.sub.org writes:

>Hello,
>why does commodore configure the A3000 with ROMs next time ?
>Since it`s better to replace the ROMs with EEPROMS...
>With EEPROMS on the motherboard the new Kickversion can stored in the
>EEPROMS....

There are some problems with this idea; one been that EEPROM requires certain
pins to be hold at certain voltage level during power up and power down,
meaning that it would require more hardware, and that most EEPROMs are not
pin compatible with EPROMs (thus no direct replacement or EPROM with EEPROM).

holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) (07/01/91)

In article <9106290101.10.2230@APD> sysop@apd.zer.sub.org writes:
>With EEPROMS on the motherboard the new Kickversion can stored in the
>EEPROMS....

a) EEPROMs are expensive.
b) EEPROMs take a very long time to burn.
c) EEPROMs are to the best of my knowledge not available in such big sizes
   as needed.
d) EEPROMs tend to wear out and would have to be replaced after several
   updates.

I feel fine with the current kickfile-solution, and will never remove
the boot roms from my A3000.

People whining about losing 512k of Fastram should think twice: Even
with ROMs you're going to copy the ROMs to RAM anyway if you care for system
performance. And I really don't care for the 512k used space on my harddisk.

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser