[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Help! My monitor blanks out!!

v128ll9e@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Richard B Wicks) (10/15/90)

	Quite a while ago, on comp.sys.amiga, someone was having trouble with
there monitor just going black.  The same thing is now happening to me.  I might
have a new virus, but I have installed all the disks that I use alot, and it's
still happening.  I vaguely remember it had something to do with poor design on
the 1084 (what I have) and a circuit building up enough charge to arc.  Can any-
one help me out?

-Desperate
(I.E. Richard Wicks)

perod@ifi.uio.no (Per Christian deg}rd) (10/15/90)

	The ByteBandit Virus blanks the screen. If your Amiga is
	infected, the virus can be disabled by pressing
	Left-Alt, Left-Amiga, Space, Right-Amiga, Right-Alt in that
	order.

	If the monitor is the problem, it usually helps to hit its
	left side.

	Per Chr. Oedegaard  [perod@ifi.uio.no]

terminal@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Bernard Leach) (11/09/90)

In <40699@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v128ll9e@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Richard B Wicks) writes:

>	Quite a while ago, on comp.sys.amiga, someone was having trouble with
>there monitor just going black.  The same thing is now happening to me.  I might
>have a new virus, but I have installed all the disks that I use alot, and it's
>still happening.  I vaguely remember it had something to do with poor design on
>the 1084 (what I have) and a circuit building up enough charge to arc.  Can any-
>one help me out?

>-Desperate
>(I.E. Richard Wicks)

Hi there, well I have a 1081 and a while ago it started blanking out. It was
due to some dry solder points. There was a slight shorting sound when it went
black.

 .bernard.

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (11/10/90)

terminal@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Bernard Leach) writes:
>>the 1084 (what I have) and a circuit building up enough charge to arc.  Can any-
>Hi there, well I have a 1081 and a while ago it started blanking out. It was
>due to some dry solder points. There was a slight shorting sound when it went
>black.

Is this the Problem?

ya playing on the computer and all of a sudden ya hear a 'Snap' and the scren
goes black.

Mine comes back on if i turn the thing off then on.

I got a weirder problem (I bought my Mon used tho)

every so ofter the'll be "explosions" of a white/shotgun pattern
in the middle of the monitor.

ie. 'snap' wwhite flash., Very Very scary to someone new to computers.

I don't know exactly WHEN it happens but ut seems random.

and i don't recall it doing it when i watch TV on my Monitor.

(Why buy a TV when ya can get a broken VCR for a Tuner and have a GREAT Pic)
-------------------------------
--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

Lee.Scoggins@p10.f21.n232.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Lee Scoggins) (11/17/91)

AREA:UUCP_HRDWR
> Quite a while ago, on comp.sys.amiga, someone was having trouble with
>there monitor just going black.  The same thing is now happening to me.
>I might have a new virus, but I have installed all the disks that I
>use alot, and it's still happening.  I vaguely remember it had something
>to do with poor design on the 1084 (what I have) and a circuit building
>up enough charge to arc. Can anyone help me out?
>
>-Desperate
>(I.E. Richard Wicks)
>
>Hi there, well I have a 1081 and a while ago it started blanking out. It
>was due to some dry solder points. There was a slight shorting sound
>when it went black.
>  .bernard.

I have a 1084 monitor that experienced the same problem of
"cracking" and then going black.  It was a poor solder connection
that was causing the problem.  The arcing tends to get worse as the
dust inside the case builds up.

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Lee Scoggins - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!232!21.10!Lee.Scoggins
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Lee.Scoggins@p10.f21.n232.z1.FIDONET.ORG