[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 Internal mem hack questions.

miles@cc.usu.edu (Miles Johnson) (11/17/90)

   Help me Mr Wizard!!!

   Three questions regarding the Chris Erving A1000 memory hack, with Dave
Haynie's autoconfig mods.  Chris's hack tells you how to piggyback 512k of
ram chips onto the top of the 256k of ram on an A1000 daughter board.  Dave's
addition will make the additional memory autoconfig.  The end result is
supposed to be a 1 meg A1000.

As I received Dave's notes they were labeled:

	How to Make Your PiggyBack RAM Expansion Auto-Configuring
			(c) 1986 by Dave Haynie

   I realize that this is pretty old.  It took me 4 years to nerve myself up
to doing it to my Amiga.  Now I need to debug it.  Hope you guys can clear up
a couple of lingering questions.  On power-up my 1000 shows gray, then green,
pause, gray, then green, pause, gray, green, red...  I think it means BAD
RAM,  don't know why it does it more than once.  The red should be bad ROM
checksum.  That doesn't make sense.  I figure I fried a ram chip somewhere.

   Before I jump in to replacing ram chips, I would like to clear up a couple
of points regarding Dave's instructions:

   1) Dave said:
>	Now you'll be dealing exclusively with the daughter board.  The
>daughter board I speak of is a 4-layer PCB labeled REV 3 on the back, up

      My daughter board was REV A.  Am I dead in the water?  Or just dead
      in the brain...

   2) Dave said:
>Next, find the 74F02 chip, called U5M on the PCB.  This chip is up 1 and
>slightly to the left of the DPALEN PAL.  **Cut pins 10, 11, and 12** away
>and up from the PCB as before.                      ^^  ^^      ^^
			.
			.
>	Now all that's left is interconnects.  Connect **freed pin 13** of
>the 'F02 to pin 11 of the 'F10.  Now connect pin 6 of the 'F10 to pin

      I didn't cut pin 13 of the 'F02 free of the motherboard.  It didn't
      say to cut it.  Was I supposed to?

   3) Dave said:
> ... The only pin that shouldn't be connected is pin 6 of the
>'F08, which doesn't go anywhere, as that part of the 'F08 isn't being used
>anywhere.

      I also had pin 12 of the 'F10 free.  It was never mentioned.

   I realize this is ancient history for you guys.  I would appreciate any
help you can offer.

Miles
--
Internet:    MILES@CC.USU.EDU           "Filter first for substance. Filter
Bitnet:      MILES@USU                   second for significance. These filters

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov16.154751.42580@cc.usu.edu> miles@cc.usu.edu (Miles Johnson) writes:
>   1) Dave said:
>>	Now you'll be dealing exclusively with the daughter board.  The
>>daughter board I speak of is a 4-layer PCB labeled REV 3 on the back, up
>
>      My daughter board was REV A.  Am I dead in the water?  Or just dead
>      in the brain...
>
>   2) Dave said:
>>Next, find the 74F02 chip, called U5M on the PCB.  This chip is up 1 and
>>slightly to the left of the DPALEN PAL.  **Cut pins 10, 11, and 12** away
>>and up from the PCB as before.                      ^^  ^^      ^^

	This is an error: it should be pins 11,12, and 13 !!!!!
	I'll send you a corrected set of directions and a schematic if you
	would like. There was one other error having to do with
	" 'F10 at pin 13", but I can't remember right now what it was.

	Monty Saine
	(619) 679-6256	(days/work)
	(619) 272-7468	(eves/home)

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (11/22/90)

To whom it may concern:

    I recently posted a response to this posting saying I had copies of both
    of the memory hacks in question. Well I do but.... Since the response
    was greater than I anticipated I am making the following request;

    If you want a hardcopy of these hacks (plus my corrections and changes)
    please send me a stamped, self addressed 9 x 12 envelope and I will
    return it with copies of all I have.

    Alternately, if some one has a "Good PD a-cad" program available,
    ( and is willing to e-mail me a copy) I will do all of the schematics
    up and post them to the net.

    Another possibility is to wait until I have time to set down with deluxe
    paint and do it that way.

    The first method will yield the fastest results!

    Send requests to:
		Monty Saine
		4551 Piute Pl.
		San Diego, Ca. 92117

    Have a nice day,
    Monty

ggk@tirith.UUCP (Gregory Kritsch) (11/21/20)

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>In article <1990Nov16.154751.42580@cc.usu.edu> miles@cc.usu.edu (Miles Johnson) writes:
>	This is an error: it should be pins 11,12, and 13 !!!!!
>	I'll send you a corrected set of directions and a schematic if you
>	would like. There was one other error having to do with
>	" 'F10 at pin 13", but I can't remember right now what it was.

I know several people who have been looking for the instructions to this
modification for some time.  I would really appreciate it if someone
would email it to me, I'll forward it appropriately.

PS: Someone asked me by mail a few weeks ago to send to them if I found
anything out.  Your name/address was lost in a hard drive upgrade.  I'll
send it to you if you send me your address again (sorry).

--
  Gregory Kritsch                          | University of Waterloo
    Fido:  1:221/208.11110  [1:163/109.30] | 1A Computer Engineering