[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 drive and memory

jmarra@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (john.c.marra) (02/19/91)

What is the cheapest way to add a hard drive and memory to
an A1000?  Would a SCSI interface which supports memory
expansion be a good idea?  And Can any SCSI disk be used with
this?

Is expansion worth the price for the 1000?
Would I have to get a ROM upgrade and boot off the drive for
best performance?

I know I can buy some, or all of these items used, which would
help for the price.

Thanks for any info,

John
--------
jmarra@cbnewsl.att.com
attmail!jcmarra

ggk@tirith.ocunix.on.ca (Gregory Kritsch) (02/21/21)

jmarra@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (john.c.marra) writes:

>What is the cheapest way to add a hard drive and memory to
>an A1000?  Would a SCSI interface which supports memory
>expansion be a good idea?  And Can any SCSI disk be used with
>this?

I was looking into upgrading my Amiga during December.  I was told that
the cheapest way to add memory to my A1000 (after the AC RAM hack) would
have been using one of the internal boards that are available (Spirit
was the specific company, I think).

I ended up buying an A590 because I wanted both a hard disk and memory,
and I didn't want another half-way product on my Amiga.  I formerly had
a Wedge controller, and while it ran flawlessly for over two years, it
just wasn't a really nice peripheral to have.  It was slow, and
completely software driven.

During its first month of operation, the A590 had some problems.  I was,
however, given both a bad power supply and an older, buggy copy of the
FFS.  Since getting these fixed, its been running like a charm.  I
highly reccommend it, but be sure you get the absolute latest FFS.

From all I've heard, SCSI is very standard.  The only problems I've
ever heard of were regarding Apple SCSI drives.  It was explained that
Apple was screwing up the drives in some way though, and that was the
problem.

>Is expansion worth the price for the 1000?
>Would I have to get a ROM upgrade and boot off the drive for
>best performance?

A tough question.  If I could have viably paid back a loan to buy an
A3000, I would have done that instead of buying the A590.  It basically
comes down to if you can't afford to upgrade, buy something for the
A1000 that will be compatible with any future upgrades you do, or has a
resale value.

--
  Gregory Kritsch                          | University of Waterloo
    Fido:  1:221/208.11110  [1:163/109.30] | 1B Computer Engineering