[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Spot height on 1084 monitor

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (02/20/91)

I know horizontal black lines on the 1084 monitor can only really be cured by
getting a flickerfixer card, but I was pondering if there wasn't a way to adjust
the spot height (diminishing the vertical sharpness of the spot) on the
1084 monitor to acheive the same effect... Any hardware guru out there?

I opened it, but I didn't find many devices to tune...

--
Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (02/22/91)

In article <10176@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:

| ...that he wants to change the astigmatism/focus of his monitor...

     Rather than hacking on your monitor, try using the program
"SetLace", which is on an old Fish disk.  (I forget which one, sorry.)
SetLace causes the system to scan-double the picture, by turning on the
LACE bit in one of the custom chips.  Though the picture is now
interlaced, it is *not* the high-res interlace that has the flicker
problem.  I use this all the time, and it makes for a *much* nicer
display.  No more ugly black lines!

                                    --dds

Big Whorls Have Little Whorls         | Dale D. Snell       BIX:  ddsnell
Which Feed On Their Velocity          | Usenet:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
And Little Whorls have Littler Whorls | CServe:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
And So On To Viscosity.               | Disclaimer:  My opinions.  Not Tek's.

ggk@tirith.ocunix.on.ca (Gregory Kritsch) (02/25/21)

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) writes:
>In article <10176@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>     Rather than hacking on your monitor, try using the program
>"SetLace", which is on an old Fish disk.  (I forget which one, sorry.)
>SetLace causes the system to scan-double the picture, by turning on the
>LACE bit in one of the custom chips.  Though the picture is now
>interlaced, it is *not* the high-res interlace that has the flicker
>problem.  I use this all the time, and it makes for a *much* nicer
>display.  No more ugly black lines!

Better solution: turn on interlaced workbench, and choose your colours
carefully.  :-)

Actually, the program on the Fish disk is quite huge for what it
accomplishes.  Seeing your message reminded me that I wrote an
equivalent program which anyone who wants it can have.  It's 148 bytes
of executable.  (I was tempted to uuencode it into this posting, but
thought that might not be a good idea).

Anyhow, if someone could look after making it generally available for
me, I'll mail it to them.  Sorry, I've discarded the source.

--
  Gregory Kritsch                          | University of Waterloo
    Fido:  1:221/208.11110  [1:163/109.30] | 1B Computer Engineering