[net.space] Scott Sandford

Dale.Amon@FAS.RI.CMU.EDU (11/19/85)

I'm curious if Scott Sandford's antarctic trips are with Dr. Cassidy. I may
have seen you in some of his slides if you were...

sas@wuphys.UUCP (Scott A. Sandford) (11/22/85)

In article <8511191016.AA01592@s1-b.arpa>, Dale.Amon@FAS.RI.CMU.EDU writes:
> I'm curious if Scott Sandford's antarctic trips are with Dr. Cassidy. I may
> have seen you in some of his slides if you were...

     As a matter of fact, my trip was with Bill Cassidy!
Bill is the man in charge of ANSMET (Antarctic Search
for Meteorites), a field program that is funded by USARP
(U.S. Antarctic Research Program), a division of the
NSF (National Science Foundation).  Okay, that's enough
initials for now.
     Whether you've seen me in some of his slides or
not depends on which field season he showed you, since
a different crew goes down every year.    I was along on
the 1984-1985 field season to the Allen Hills.
     I should mention to people who are interested in
learning more about these expeditions that there will
be a short article on the 1984-1985 season coming out
in EOS soon (probably by the end of this month).  The
journal should have a photo of a natural rock arch on
the cover.  I spotted the arch during our expedition
and it's presently believed to be the world's southern
most natural arch!  Our expedition was also filmed for inclusion
in a documentary called PLANET EARTH which will be airing on
PBS.  The series has 7 parts and will be starting
January 22.  Our segment should be in the 3rd part, which
is entitled Quest for Genesis, and is probably about 5
minutes long.  I haven't seen the film, but a friend
has and she says the whole series is well worth seeing.
    As to whether you would remember me even if you
had seen me, I will give you the following useless
clues.    I had a beard (of course, every other male
member of the expedition did too).  I wore glacier
glasses that covered much of my face (just like
everybody else).  I wore a red USARP anarak (just like
everybody else).  I wore white "bunny boots" (something
that not everybody prefered).  As you may have guessed
by now, it's hard to tell who's who once you have on
all your cold weather gear.  We had trouble telling
each other apart in the field sometimes.  I have a
great picture of our entire crew lined up on a windy
day and I'm fond of asking my friends to point me out
in the picture.  Three fourths of them get it wrong (my
wife did too).    Oh well, so much for getting a big
Hollywood break from by spot on the PBS series.
    I'd be happy to answer any other questions people
might have.