[alt.mud] Networking bug???

jopsy@naucse.UUCP (John Crane) (04/10/90)

    Helloooo World!!!

    My site is FINALLY getting alt.mud again!

I'm curious, has anyone noticed problems with (tiny)Muds crashing
their machines?  My system adminiatrator and I are puzzled by an
odd increase in the frequency of machine crashes since I've brought up
{Dragon|Tiny}Mud.  If anyone has any information, fixes or related
data, speak up!  DragonMud may go down forever if a fix isn't found!

I'm on a MicroVAX 3500 running ULTRIX-32 ver. 2.2 0 (VAX architecture)
I'm running TinyMud ver. 1.5.3, but experienced similar problems with
1.4.1 through 1.5.3.  The crash frequency has been about once every
4 days on the average.  Does ANYONE have a clue?!?!?

--
\^^--____                 ____--^^/      -----> jopsy@naucse.cse.nau.edu
  \ *<{#})\             /*{#})  /     -----> Crane@NauVax.bitnet

news@awdprime.UUCP (USENET News) (04/13/90)

In article <2013@naucse.UUCP> jopsy@naucse.UUCP (John Crane) writes:
>I'm curious, has anyone noticed problems with (tiny)Muds crashing
>their machines?  My system adminiatrator and I are puzzled by an
Nope.

>I'm on a MicroVAX 3500 running ULTRIX-32 ver. 2.2 0 (VAX architecture)
>I'm running TinyMud ver. 1.5.3, but experienced similar problems with
>1.4.1 through 1.5.3.  The crash frequency has been about once every
>4 days on the average.  Does ANYONE have a clue?!?!?
Check the output of "netstat -m", make sure your not running out of
mbufs.  I've seen old talk do this but never tinymud.

If "netstat -m" shows more than "0 requests for memory denied" then you
have a problem.

If that isn't it, it could be just about anything else.  Best bet is to
dig through the crash data and try and find out what's going on.  It's
gotta be a bug in the OS or hardware (user programs should never be able
to crash the system) so you might should get support (dec or whoever)
to check it out.

Good luck,
-- sanders
For every message of the day, a new improved message will arise to overcome it.
UUCP Path: cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sanders.austin.ibm.com!sanders    (ugh!)
I am not an IBM representative and I speak only for myself.