[rec.audio.high-end] high end car stereos

zahid@neptune.AMD.COM (Zahid Ahsanullah) (03/21/90)

Hi all, seems like I sent this off to the wrong person the
first time. Hope this is the right address for rec.audio.high-end.

	I have never heard a car stereo that I have liked. I'm not
talking about Sony'ish or Alpine'ish stuff. I'm referring to stuff
that costs thousands of dollars. My friend installed a $3000 system
in his car recently that he is very proud of and invited me to listen
to it. I was impressed, but not with the quality of the sound but the
sheer sonic power. You could hear the boooooms and tisshhhh's for
literally blocks but nothing of the midrange. There was nothing you
could do to the equalizer to bring it out. The story is the same for
a lot of other `expensive' sound systems I have heard. Maybe I am too
critical but surely for thousands of dollars you should get a quality
home stereo sound. Here is why I think that car stereo will never
sound like a home stereo. Take for example speakers. A home stereo
speaker is 8 Ohms, with light cone and flexible spider spring. A spider
spring is what keeps the voice coil suspended over the magnet. It also
has a light cone spring at the ends of the cone where it attaches the
frame. The reason for this setup is because the speaker remains vertical
for life. If you lay a home speaker down on its back or face for a long
period of time the weight of the cone will make the spider spring stretch
and make the voice coil sit at a position away from the optimal position.
The optimal position for a voice coil to sit on a magnet is
the top of the voice coil should be be flush with the top of the
magnet. Any change from this position will result in loss of sound
quality as happens with most old or fairly used speakers. A car
speaker is designed to lie in its back and face outdoor abuse. For
this reason the paper is thick, the spider is stiff so it'll hold
the voice coil in place for a long time. The outer cone attachment is
rugged and thick to support the cone and not let the spider do all
the work. What all this does is that cone has terrible mid freq
response and colored low response due to the paper not being allowed
to move freely. The only way to make it move is by sheer wattage and
since the travel is still limited and the mass considerable, the bass
is colored due to cone momentum. Also 4 Ohms don't have much midrange
response anyway.
	The tape deck is next being powered only by 12 volts. I have
designed enough amplifiers to know that 12 volts aint never gonna
cut it as far as frequency response is concerned. You need atleats 20
volts to get anything decent out of a preamp. Something about Bipolar
transistors that it wants more than 12 volts. Maybe I'll analyze this
problem if I ever get time to myself. I have tried subsituting top
of the line tape decks of a couple high end systems in expensive car
stereos but they all sound about the same. You are better off buying
a slightly above average Sony or Alpine to get in the ballpark.
That $500 difference is just too slight to notice.
	Finally the amplifier. Most amps are powered by 12 volts and
thus the output stage can only handle a 4 Ohm load effectively. Some
amps I think have invertors that raise the voltage to maybe 25 volts
(some of you might know this better). But they still have the output
stage designed to drive a four ohm load. All this does is  that it
concentrates the power on the lower end of the spectrum and distorts
the high end so that it sounds pronounced. You can amplify a colored
signal but all it'll do is make it loud with no image. If the signal
has a small distortion in it it'll hurt the ears. Thus the boomy sound
and abnormal sounding highs. To get the midrange out you need more
voltage and the ideal power output design is a complementary output