[rec.audio.high-end] Stereophile and Cassette Decks

JMS@mis.Arizona.edu (Programmin' up a storm.) (04/09/90)

In article <1187@philmtl.philips.ca> pedersen@philmtl.philips.ca (Paul Pedersen) writes:

>In article <21258@cs.yale.edu> tarr-michael@YALE.EDU (michael tarr) writes:
>>Is it just me or does Stereophile seem to have a high correlation
>>between number of ads and liklihood of product being reviewed?
>
>Did you get this impression from the February '90 issue ?  I ask because
>I just bought it (you wouldn't believe the delay around here) and have had
>a similar reaction.

I don't know how Stereophile runs their editorial department, but most
magazines have a very weak link between editorial and advertising, which
works this way: the editorial people agree to tell the advertising
people what they're going to write, but usually don't know the
specifics yet---they're going to talk about a Yamaha xyzzy, but don't know
whether the review is good or bad.  Then, the advertising people go out
and try to get Yamaha (or whomever) to run an ad, which they'll try to
get as close to the review as possible.  If Yamaha is confident that they
have a good product, they'll usually go for it, since the synergy of a
good review next to a good ad is hard to beat.

Now, magazines range from this "almost totally ethical" behavior all the
way to showing the review to the manufacturer to induce them to get
on the advertising bandwagon.  Plus, some magazines (in a different
field, but the same principle applies) have been known to choose among
competing articles based on advertisting budget and track record.  You
can usually figure those out pretty quickly---the reviews are ALL good;
the ads are all in sync; and the quality of the writing is low, because
real writers won't work in such an environment.  I have experiences with
publications at both ends of the spectrum, and can report that the ones that
last for years are all very straight with their readers and advertisers;
the sleazy ones tend to go under very quickly.

Because of the heavy involvement of Dead fans with taping, their advice
turned out to be quite good.

As expected, most of the answers from rec.audio said "get a Nakamichi."
However, the more I talked with heavy users of decks, and the more I talked
with stereo salesmen (not known as a fount of knowledge), the less
interested I became in the Nakamichi.  There's a legendary---and possibly
mythical---assertion that Nakamichis are great standalone, but have
problems interoperating with tapes read/written on other systems.  There
were other decks mentioned, and other suggestions: 3 heads, type of
material used in the head, 3 motors, no dubbing.  But the two brands that
got most mentioned were Nakamichi and Denon.  While there were some folks
praising and some burying Nak, no one had anything bad to say about Denon.

So, I took a look.  Denon has three decks at exactly the same price-point,
$400 retail.  One is a dubbing deck, one has some other consumer-oriented
feature, and the third (the 700) is where they put their head/motor
dollars.  You can move up from there---the 800 is the same deck with better
heads (amorphous).  I ended up listening to the Denon 700, against two
Nakamichis, a Yamaha, and some other miscellaneous decks.  I
was unable to tell the difference in reproduction of sources recorded on
the same deck (although they were all slightly degraded from the original
CD, only detectable in A/B play).  I could barely hear a difference in
tapes played on other decks, but as a non-blind test, I suspect that I was
imagining the difference.  In any case it wasn't upsetting; your mileage
may vary.  My impression is that the Nak engineers are more meticulous
about moving that little tape past the head while the Denon engineers care
more about the sound.

Mostly on the basis of price performance, I chose the Denon 700.  I was
willing to buy the 800 on the basis of recommendations from net folk (the
difference wasn't great, about $100 retail), but the salesman
refused to sell it to me, claiming that such a deck is only for "anal
retentive audio purists who only listen to their stereos with
oscilloscopes."  I got them to throw in a case of tapes (Denon 100 minute
tapes, wholesale cost about $3.25 each) and some long cables which I needed
for dubbing to a Tascam that's rack mounted (probably worth $10), and
agreed to pay the $399 retail.  So, I figure I got about a 10% discount.
They weren't willing to haggle further, and pointed out that my time was
worth more than the additional $10 to $20 I could save by going to Phoenix
or mail-order.

On the deck:

Pretty standard.  3 motors, 3 heads. Line inputs, NO MIC LEVEL.  Two
power supplies (whatever that implies, which I suppose is less noise
across channels).  The remote only works when connected to other Denon
equipment.

There's a weird thing you can do with recording and pausing that the manual
was real excited about, but didn't seem worth figuring out. The manual,
like most Pacific Rim products, was awful.  Dolby B, C. "HX Pro Headroom
Extension." (another anal-retentive feature, I've been told by several
folks).

A tape counter that shows TIME ! ! !  I didn't think this was worth
anything until I found myself using it A LOT already.  I'm normally
anti-Bell and Whistle, but this is a real win.  Some memory thing
related to the counter.

A balance control for input, as well as a single level.  Fine bias adjust,
and output level adjust.  FM MPX filter.

Bottom line:  It works GREAT!  I upgraded my home from an El Poopo Teac I
got for making tapes for the car and I can REALLY tell the difference.
Noise is down, levels are sparklier.  If you are considering a deck in the
$300 to $500 range, you should take the time to look into this one.  I
think that it's price/performance against Nakamichis is excellent.

Also: Send mail if you're interested in a summary of the notes I got off
the net.

jms

Joel M Snyder, The Mosaic Group, 627 E Speedway, 85705  Phone: 602.626.8680
(University of Arizona, Dep't of MIS, Eller Graduate School of Management)
BITNET: jms@arizmis  Internet: jms@mis.arizona.edu  SPAN: 47541::uamis::jms
A stitch in time saves nine. Suture self, it's Badenov as it is.