[rec.audio.high-end] Speaker wire

janpo@relay.EU.net (07/05/90)

In article <4822@uwm.edu> Mike Thome writes:

>  I'm told that there is at least one company which sells high-end
>speaker wires made from ribbon cable... is this true?  Would you want
>to alternate conductors or group 'em?  How 'bout cables made up of a
>bunch of twisted pair sets?

I've never heard of such a company but I've been playing with the idea of using
ribbon or twisted pair cables as speaker wire as well. The idea is that with
such cable the inductance of the cable can be reduced significantly. A normal
two lead speaker wire can have an inductance of about 1 to 1.4 microHenry
depending on the electromagnetic coupling between the individual wires. Two
wires carrying the same current but with opposite direction have a coupling
factor of one if their magnetic fields cancel each other like in a good coax
cable and is zero when their fields don't "see" each other. This inductance
seems insignificant relative to the milliHenries of cross-over circuits but
it isn't. I use, for example, 5 metres of Monster cable which has an
inductance of 5.5 microHenry and KEF 104.II speakers which are 4 ohm resistive
over the entire audio frequency range. At 10 kHz the impedance of the cable
is about 0.35 ohm which, together with the output impedance of the amp and
the resistance of the cable would yield a 1 dB loss and a 5 degrees phase
shift! Depending on the cable type the extrinsic cable impedance (I.e.
2*PI*f*L) will exceed the intrinsic cable impedance (Resistance and skin effect)
from a few hundred or thousand Hertz. From this point of view it's barely
usefull to use Litze wire to reduce the skin-effect but much more usefull to
find ways to reduce the inductance of the cable.

To achieve a reduction of the inductance you'll have to increase the coupling
between the wires. Using coax cable as speaker wire would seem a good idea
but this wire has quite a high resistance which would yield poor bass response.
A better idea is to use ribbon cable or even better, twisted pair flat cable.
When using ribbon cable alternate "hot" wires and return wires for lowest
inductance and when using twisted pair one conductor should be the "hot"
and the other the return wire. A 64 lead AWG 28 (0.089 mm2) cable would
yield a 2.85 mm2 (Sorry, no gauge table available here) cable which is worse
than the 4.5 mm2 (?) of my Monster cable but all in all it might well be a
better choise.

Another advantage of ribbon cable is that you can run it out of sight under
the carpet.

Jan Postma

--
Jan Postma        UUCP: ...!mcvax!phigate!philmds!janpo | Piekerje net,
Philips I&E DTS   Inet: janpo@dts.ine.philips.nl        | it komt dochs

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/06/90)

Try Kimber cable-- it is multiple conductors (24 or 48) weaved
together to form a thick, round cable.  At the ends, you seperate,
strip and twist together all conductors of one color...

Not only does the stuff sound good, but it looks good too--
impressive, yet not obtrusive.

b.bumgarner            | Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed are my own.
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu   | I officially don't represent anyone unless I
NeXT Campus Consultant | explicity say I am doing so. So there. <Thpppt!>
"I ride tandem with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them.."