[rec.audio.high-end] Imaging, ambiance, sound staging, and all that.

hugo@griggs.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) (07/06/90)

The audio press seems to make a big deal about imaging and ambience
information in recordings, and how well playback systems capture this
information. In fact, in reading some reviews, it almost seems like
detail in imaging is almost the one most important factor used to rate
audio equipment.

One staggering example of this mentality is HP's recent pre-amp
survey, in which the writer goes on an on about how well the back and
sides of the "soundfield" were captured by component X, how the "air"
between the players was now audible, how clearly component Y captured
the reflection of sound off the back wall of the concert hall, and so
on and so forth.  HP even writes somewhere that East coast "air"
sounds "wet" on recordings, where as other air (presumably inland)
sounds "dry."

The obvious question here is why is this one aspect of sound
reproduction so important to so many people?  Is equipment good enough
to correctly reproduce all the other aspects of music, and this is all
that is left?  I don't think so.

The other question to raise is whether or not people hear any of this
stuff at concerts.  What does "air" sound like, anyway?  I personally
tend not to notice, but I mostly sit towards the back of the hall I go
to.  I also don't go into the concert thinking 'Ok, listen to the back
and side walls...', geesh.

So, what do people think?

Pete

jdhill@BBN.COM (Jack D. Hill) (07/06/90)

In article <4865@uwm.edu> hugo@griggs.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) writes:
>The audio press seems to make a big deal about imaging and ambience
>information in recordings, and how well playback systems capture this
>information. In fact, in reading some reviews, it almost seems like
>detail in imaging is almost the one most important factor used to rate
>audio equipment.
>The obvious question here is why is this one aspect of sound
>reproduction so important to so many people?  Is equipment good enough
>to correctly reproduce all the other aspects of music, and this is all
>that is left?  I don't think so.

I believe the reason HP and people like him are making such a big deal about it
is because this is an aspect of sound reproduction that contemporary equipment
is just starting to reveal. It is a component that has added to stereo
equipment's ability to achieve concert hall realism in the living room. I don't
think they believe everything else is "good enough", this is just a new
criterion by which to judge components.

>The other question to raise is whether or not people hear any of this
>stuff at concerts.  What does "air" sound like, anyway?  I personally
>tend not to notice, but I mostly sit towards the back of the hall I go
>to.  I also don't go into the concert thinking 'Ok, listen to the back
>and side walls...', geesh.

I don't go to concerts and specifically listen to the back and side walls. If
the hall is dry or reverberant then I make a note of it. In sound reproduction
though, if this aspect is missing, then the illusion of realism is not
achieved. We the audience do not have to consciously be aware of such things but
when a reviewer uses such detailed analysis in the critique of an audio
component, then we should know what he's referring to.

Jack Hill

rshapiro@arris.com (Richard Shapiro) (07/08/90)

In article <4865@uwm.edu> hugo@griggs.dartmouth.edu (Peter Su) writes:
>The audio press seems to make a big deal about imaging and ambience
>information in recordings...
>The obvious question here is why is this one aspect of sound
>reproduction so important to so many people?  Is equipment good enough
>to correctly reproduce all the other aspects of music, and this is all
>that is left?  I don't think so.

I think it's because (a) it's only fairly recently that equipment has
been able to do this and (b) good imaging etc *dramatically* improves
the illusion that real instruments are playing in your living room,
probably more than any other single factor (imho, of course).

>The other question to raise is whether or not people hear any of this
>stuff at concerts.

I've commented on this before. Basically, the typical modern concert
hall isn't very good for most music. It should not be used as the
yardstick for measuring audio equipment. In fact, recording gives the
listener access to many more aspects of the music than any concert
experience could. One of the principal aspects which typically
disappears in a concert setting (especially in a large hall) is the
distinctness of each instrument in the ensemble. This is what "air"
makes apparent; and this is why good audio equipment is superior to
most concert performances in this regard (among others). You don't
hear "air" in most concert halls, but this means, not that the
recording is phony, but that the hall is inadequate for the music
being presented.