[net.space] Space Station from Shuttle Tanks

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (11/29/85)

In article <275@kovacs.UUCP> rivero@kovacs.UUCP (Michael Foster Rivero) writes:
>[...]	  As an aside, if the external shuttle tanks were  re-designed
>	to   ride  all  the  way  to  orbit,  they  might  make  great
>	pressurized bulk storage units that could  be  attached  to  a
>	space   station  framework.  [...]			  With
>	shuttles going up on a once a  month  basis  during  SDI,  you
>	would  have  a  LOT  of  pressurized space at the end of every
>	year.

(I just subscribed to this group, apologies if this is old ground...)

I worked on the Shuttle project from '72 to '75. I seem to recall that
they were planning on carrying the external tank into orbit, the idea
being exactly as Mr. Rivero proposed, to create a Space Station out of
the expended tanks.

Has this changed? Do they drop it before (final) orbit now?
--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill

dietz@SLB-DOLL.CSNET (Paul Dietz) (12/01/85)

Currently, the shuttle is maneuvered so the ET drops into the Indian
Ocean (or the Pacific on some launch paths).

As I understand it, detailed studies by NASA have shown that it's not
simple to turn an external tank into a space station.  A space station
is just too complicated (with wiring, electronics, temperature control &
ventilation, etc.) to make in orbit at this time (except by simple
assembly of prefab modules).

A near-term use of ET's is as reaction mass.  The simplest way to
do this, NASA has found, is to drop the ET on the end of a long tether
below (or above) the shuttle, then release it.  Unfortunately, any
mass saving in OMS fuel is used up by the mass of the cable.  This
idea could be used, however, to boost a space station into higher
orbits, since the cable could be left in orbit and used many times.

ET's can't just be left in low orbit without processing, since they
have a large cross section and experience considerable drag (as did
Skylab).  There are designs on the board for solar furnaces for melting
ET's, turing each into a twelve foot solid aluminum sphere.

If SDI ever comes to pass (which seems doubtful) a major problem
will be shielding the electronics against cosmic rays and
14.7 MeV neutrons from thermonuclear weapons.  The last are especially
nasty; the only way to shield against them is by using lots of mass.
Raw ET material would be good for this; one ET can be turned into
a solid aluminum sphere twelve feet across.

> As I understand it, detailed studies by NASA have shown that it's not
> simple to turn an external tank into a space station.  A space station
> is just too complicated (with wiring, electronics, temperature control &
> ventilation, etc.) to make in orbit at this time (except by simple
> assembly of prefab modules).

One possibility would be to revive the original Skylab "wet workshop"
concept.  Pre-install as much of the equipment as will stand being soaked
in liquid hydrogen for a while.	 On reaching orbit, vent the tank to space
for a while to clear out the hydrogen, and move in.  This concept hit some
snags during Skylab development, and was eventually abandoned, but Wernher
von Braun (for one) thought that the "wet workshop" approach could have
been made to work with a little more effort.  When it became clear that
there were going to be spare Saturn Vs around at the end of Apollo, the
"dry workshop" alternative became feasible, and the incentive for solving
the "wet workshop"'s problems went away.  Some features of Skylab, like the
metal-grid floors, were holdovers from the earlier concept.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology