[rec.audio.high-end] Earthquakes vs Stereos

nhess@us.oracle.com (Nate Hess) (07/12/90)

A friend of mine is moving out here (Santa Cruz) from Texas, and he's
worried about setting his stereo up in case an earthquake hits; in
particular, he's concerned about his Goldmund ST4 turntable.

Can anyone provide war stories of how your stereo survived (or didn't
survive) the latest quake.  Reference to how your turntable(s) fared
would be most appreciated.

He's thinking of putting the stylus cover on and removing the platter
whenever it's not in use.  Does this seem like a reasonable precaution?

Thanks for any info,
--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

nhess@oracle.com or ...!uunet!oracle!nhess or (415) 598-3046

rogerk@uunet.uu.net (Roger Knopf 5502) (07/13/90)

In article <4973@uwm.edu> you write:
>A friend of mine is moving out here (Santa Cruz) from Texas, and he's
>worried about setting his stereo up in case an earthquake hits; in
>particular, he's concerned about his Goldmund ST4 turntable.

Good. Another audio-freak coming to Paradise. Have him look me up
when he gets here, we can listen to each other's record collection.

>Can anyone provide war stories of how your stereo survived (or didn't
>survive) the latest quake.  Reference to how your turntable(s) fared
>would be most appreciated.

I would estimate that I live somewhere more than 4 miles but less than
10 from the epicenter, ie its just up the hill from me, I can see it
from my driveway....

All my gear survived the quake OK. My turntable is on top of my
equipment rack and its over 100lbs, bottom weighted. My speakers
did endos, though but fortunately were not damaged except for a
little cosmetic damage. In the next quake, I am more worried
about my speakers than my turntable.

Since the quake, I have taken to locking my tonearm down but not
putting the plastic stylus guard on. Throughout equipment changes
I have kept the center of gravity on my equipment rack low.

One other note: I was home playing a record on my Rega during an
aftershock (about 5.1 richter). The record never even skipped!
Now *thats* isolation from shock!

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services			  "The True Believers will...formulate

peb@uunet.UU.NET (Paul Baclaski) (07/13/90)

In article <4973@uwm.edu>, nhess@us.oracle.com (Nate Hess) writes:
> A friend of mine is moving out here (Santa Cruz) from Texas, and he's
> worried about setting his stereo up in case an earthquake hits; in
> particular, he's concerned about his Goldmund ST4 turntable.

A friend of mine in Los Gatos had his CD player fall on the floor--about
2-3 feet.  I would recommend that equipment should not be stacked high
and could be secured to the shelves with wire.  Then, make sure that
the shelves don't fall over.  I suppose a stereo cabinet with wheels
might roll around instead of falling over, if it was not on carpeting.

A funny over-preparation note:  (friend of a friend story, take NaCl),
In Santa Cruz someone secured his bookshelves to the wall studs in his
house with sturdy screws.  During the earth quake, the bookshelves took
the whole wall down!  It was an inside, not outside wall.

Paul

lrb@rrivax.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) (07/16/90)

In article <4973@uwm.edu>, nhess@us.oracle.com (Nate Hess) writes...

>Can anyone provide war stories of how your stereo survived (or didn't
>survive) the latest quake.  Reference to how your turntable(s) fared
>would be most appreciated.

maybe this belongs in alt.uban.folklore :-)

after the quake in Toronto, Canada last year, i read in my audio shop's
quarterly that a customers oracle delphi (III i think) handled the
quake no problem. he watched the furniture  bounce across the floor while
the table played nicely. i suspect the arm was a sme IV or V, but
i would put better trust in oracle's suspension.
Lance R. Bailey, Systems Manager | Robarts Research Institute
email: lrb@rri.uwo.ca            | Clinical Trials Resources Group
  vox: 519-663-3787 ext. 4108    | P.O. Box 5015, 100 Perth Dr.
  fax: 519-663-3789              | London, Canada N6A 5K8