[rec.audio.high-end] Need Headphone Recommendations

peb@uunet.UU.NET (Paul Baclaski) (06/29/90)

I am looking for quality headphones of the cover-your-ear type (which
should produce good bass and seal out noise from your environment like
on an airplane (if the FAA isn't bothered by that)).

Thanx,

Paul
sun!acad!peb

petrilli@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Chris Petrilli) (06/29/90)

In article <4736@uwm.edu> acad!peb@uunet.UU.NET (Paul Baclaski) writes:

>I am looking for quality headphones of the cover-your-ear type (which
>should produce good bass and seal out noise from your environment like
>on an airplane (if the FAA isn't bothered by that)).
>
>Paul
>sun!acad!peb

This is a broad question... how much do you want to spend.  If it doesn't
matter, I would suggest the Stax Pro-Labdas (I have a set), which are
completely beyond belief.  Otherwise, you might want to say how
much you are willing to spend.

+ Chris Petrilli                                    "Opinons represented here
| University of Texas at Austin                      do not necessarily
| INTERNET:  petrilli@vondrake.cc.utexas.edu         represent those of a sane
| SNAILMAIL: 429 Brady Lane, Austin, Texas, 78746    person.  Take them as
+ PHONE:     +1 512 327 0986                         simply that."

KLUDGE@AGCB8.LARC.NASA.GOV (07/02/90)

The Sony MDR-V6 headphones cover your ears, have as good bass as it is
possible for headphones to have (pretty poor, but that's what you get when
you use your head as a resonant chamber).  They do a good enough job of
blocking out external noise that I use them for recording work.  After
three years, I have started to dislike the sound immensely, but for the
price they are still quite good and I liked them for three years so they
can't have been all that bad.  FAA won't let you attach them to aircraft
radios without the nifty isolation transformer, but at work we've got a
guy who flies with a pair of Koss headphones (one channel on the radio,
the other on his walkman).
--scott

radvan@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Don Radvan) (07/05/90)

In article <4792@uwm.edu> scott writes:
>The Sony MDR-V6 headphones cover your ears, have as good bass as it is

.... <lines deleted>

>--scott

There appears to be a lot of talk/praise about the MDR-V6. A recent chack
with the local Sony Store (Sony of Canada, that is) has made me aware that
such a beast no longer exists. The replacement, they claim, is the MDR-V5.

I tried these guys but found them a little uncomfortable for long listening.
I also tried the MDR-V7 (CN$129) and found these very comfortable with
excellent base response. Perhaps these are the replacements but Sony doesn't
wish to admit to a price increase? At any rate, the V7 is a decent sounding
and comfortable pair of headphones.

Don Radvan
Mobile Data International
Richmond, B.C., Canada

jvb7u@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) (07/06/90)

I was in the market for a pair of good headphones earlier this year.  I
was impressed by the AKG D240's more than the Sony MDR-V6.  I went over
to Crutchfield's (they're here in Ch'ville) and tried both as well as
the top of the line Sennheisers (no comparison to the previous two).
I found the bass on the Sony's to be much louder, but not deeper (i.e.
the mid-bass on the Sony's has been boosted to provide the popular
"juke box" sound) than the AKG's.  They are also more efficient (use
less power to provide the same audio level).  On many classical
recordings (a Telarc sampler was used) the Sony's bass actually sounded
muddy, while the AKG's were very clean.  Also, the high end on the
AKG's was cleaner and more effortless than the Sony's.  Neither of them
came close to my recollection of the sound of Stax's (I wish I had the
$$ for a pair ;`), but at a fraction of the cost, they were pretty
good.  I bought the AKG's.

Also, in the way of comfort:  The AKG's fit around your ear and rest on
your skull, while the Sony's press on your ear.  After about fifteen
minutes my ears starting hurting, but if you have smaller ears they might
be OK.  Go try them out if you think you'd like them.

I also tried a pair of AKG 240's to see how they faired against their
brothers, the D240's.  The 240`s didn't have as good a bass or high end.

Jon
--
Jon Brinkmann					Astronomy Department
Internet:	jvb7u@Virginia.EDU		University of Virginia

elvis@Athena.EE.MsState.Edu (surfer) (07/13/90)

I recommend the Yamaha YHD-1 headphones (~$80).  I also tested a pair of
Nakamichi's which sounded slightly better, but appeared to be of less
durable construction than the Yamaha's.  These are both good headphones for
just under $100, but if you have more than $100 I would recommend that you go
for a pair of Stax 'phones.

Appearing again:
-John West-                        elvis@athena.ee.msstate.edu
Engineering Research Center for Computational Field Simulation
Mississippi State University ***** National Science Foundation
P.O. Drawer EE  {Simrall Bldg, Rm 431}  (601) 325-8234 (voice)
Mississippi State, MS 39762             (601) 325-2298   (fax)
.........the opinions presented here are those of the King..........

lemke@apple.com (Steve Lemke) (07/19/90)

van-bc!mdivax1!radvan@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Don Radvan) writes:

>In article <4792@uwm.edu> scott writes:
>>The Sony MDR-V6 headphones cover your ears, have as good bass as it is
>.... <lines deleted>

>There appears to be a lot of talk/praise about the MDR-V6. A recent chack
>with the local Sony Store (Sony of Canada, that is) has made me aware that
>such a beast no longer exists.

Hmm.  I've never heard of the V5, but I _DID_ listen to the V6, at Good Guys
in Santa Clara, CA.  They had them on the shelf, and I didn't get the
impression that they had been discontinued.  They were approx. $100.

>The replacement, they claim, is the MDR-V5.
>I tried these guys but found them a little uncomfortable for long listening.

I didn't see this model.  I did see a pair for about $40, but they didn't
cover the ear, they merely hung out on the surface of the ear.  My roommate
bought a pair of these which is what got me interested in getting a pair of
Sony headphones in the first place.

>I also tried the MDR-V7 (CN$129) and found these very comfortable with
>excellent base response. Perhaps these are the replacements but Sony doesn't
>wish to admit to a price increase? At any rate, the V7 is a decent sounding
>and comfortable pair of headphones.

SUMMARY:

The $40 Sonys that I listened to (I can't remember the model number, but
they're the popular budget CD headphones) sounded ok, but bothered me since
they didn't cover the ear.  I was looking for something that I could wear
for four to six hours on a round trip flight from San Jose to New York.  So,
I moved up to the V6s, which sounded pretty good, but (A) I didn't like the
coiled cord, and (B) when I listened to the V7s, I decided that the V7 was
worth an extra $20.  The V7s sounded FANTASTIC.  I bought them and listened
to them with my portable CD player.  The sound was terriffic and the bottom
end was great - better than I've ever heard in headphones before.  I had
no problem listening to these for both flights (no fatigue, etc.).

--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----

mrapple@uop.uop.edu (Nick Sayer) (07/19/90)

I work at KUOP-FM here in Stockton, and we used to use AKG-240
'phones. I thought they were so great I went out and got a pair
for myself. They're the most comfortable things (in the way of
headphones) I've ever worn. IMHO, they sound REALLY great too,
but I am easily amused when it comes to audio matters.

Unfortunately, at a public radio station there are those who
don't take as good care of the equipment as they might,
so we are now using some no-name junk, but I still have
my AKGs!
--
Nick Sayer               | Disclaimer:                      ___
N6QQQ                    |    "I ain't gonna touch it,     /   \    snap