[rec.audio.high-end] Quad ESL63 and Subwoofer

FCFIFRAGA%CIUC2.UC.RCCN.PT@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (FRANCISCO AMARAL F FRAGA) (07/31/90)

I would be very much interested in hearing about the Velodyne subwoofer
mentioned in the description of Gary Gibson system. Is it a dual
stereo subwoofer or a central mono one?
I have heard several experiments of ELS63
with subwoofers and I was not fully pleased. The best I heard was
with a pair of Janis subwoofers, but unhappily the quality of
the system was spoiled by a poor quality active crossover. (It was
an old model and it didn't match the valve preamplifer and amplifier
with which was being used).
If some one has experience or information of home building subwoofers
and matching active crossovers for Quad ELS63 I would be quite
pleased to hear about. I own a pair of these electrostatics and,
in spite of conflicting opinions about that matter, feel that
they need some help in the bass. However, after hearing for
some brief moments to a friend Roland Research Model 5 driving
them, may be it is the Audio Research D70 II that needs some
help!

Francisco Fraga

Francisco A. F. Fraga
Dept. Physics
Univ. Coimbra
3000 Coimbra PORTUGAL tel. 351-39-34668 fax 351-39-29158
FCFIFRAGA@CIUC2.UC.RCCN.PT

bill@vrdxhq.verdix.com (William Spencer) (08/02/90)

in article <5447@uwm.edu>, FCFIFRAGA%CIUC2.UC.RCCN.PT@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (FRANCISCO AMARAL F FRAGA) says:

> I have heard several experiments of ELS63
> with subwoofers and I was not fully pleased. [...]
> If some one has experience or information of home building subwoofers
> and matching active crossovers for Quad ELS63 I would be quite
> pleased to hear about.

Check out _Speaker Builder_ #6/89. The system described has two
very interesting features:

* Dipole type subwoofer. This helps solve the integration problems of
  matching dipole main speakers. Interesting, since dipoles are not known
  for bass. However there are advantages: the driver operates at free air
  resonance and the polar response is different. The author of the article
  used a single Hartley 24" driver. I could see using multiple low cost
  15" woofers instead to get the required "cubic inches" of air movement.
  The cabinet (open back) was only a bit larger than the driver
  and rolls off at 6 dB
  per octave below 100 Hz due to baffle cancellation. The author claims
  the efficiency is high.

* Use of combined electronic and acoustic rolloffs for the crossover.
  This could be useful in any subwoofer system. The Quads roll off at
  12 dB per octave below 80 Hz. The elecronic crossover adds 6 dB/octave
  to provide a combined 18 dB/octave slope at 80 Hz. The subwoofer side uses
  an 18 dB/octave filter using Old Colony filter boards plus the
  6 dB/octave boost below 100 Hz to compensate for the baffle cancellation
  noted above. The 6 dB filter for the mains only provides a small reduction
  in the Quad's workload but it still helps. More signifigant, the filter
  is passively implemented so none of your main tone need pass through
  excess circuitry.

The above info should help with one of the most common questions on the
net. I'm planning on some dipole experiments myself soon (not for Quads :-).

bill S.

alan@syacus.acus.oz.au (Alan Stewart) (08/02/90)

FCFIFRAGA%CIUC2.UC.RCCN.PT@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (FRANCISCO AMARAL F FRAGA) writes:

>I would be very much interested in hearing about the Velodyne subwoofer
>mentioned in the description of Gary Gibson system. Is it a dual
>stereo subwoofer or a central mono one?
>I have heard several experiments of ELS63
>with subwoofers and I was not fully pleased. The best I heard was

A review was done in Hi-Fi Review last year (I will find out what month)
for a dipole subwoofer system especially designed by Celestian for the
ELS63's. The dipole bass system matched the nature of the sound radiation
pattern from the Quad's more accurately than other systems on the market.

Alan