[rec.audio.high-end] Why they are killing the dynamic range?

bellutta@irst.it (Paolo Bellutta) (08/21/90)

I've seen some messages from people working in recording studios and in
TV/Radio stations.  This message is mainly for them.

I always wondered why compressors and limiters are so widely used during the
recording. I can understand that the dynamic range of certain instruments
must be compressed to fit into a TV speaker dynamic range.

Recording Studios:
But if the source tape must be mixed to sound good on poor quality
reproduction systems, why should I pay $15 to $20 (that's the price here...)
for a CD with a dynamic range that has been killed to a few dBs?  Some CDs has
been recorded "direct from microphone" but only classical or jazz music (I
know that rock music is considered "low level" but there are people that
like that!).  I can understand that voice for example sounds better when a
limiter is used, but why *everything* must be limited and/or compressed?

TV/Radio Stations:
When a record is transmitted I can understand that the microphone *must* be
compressed *and* limited so that the transmitted signal fits the FCC
specifications, but why compress and limit the music also?  Is that for the
fact that different records have different recording levels?  If that is the
reason, are the level controls on the mixers used just to collect dust?

All this may sound a bit rude but I think that what high-end people are
really missing is the dynamic range of the original sound.

Since the people I'm asking this question *work* with audio I'd like to know
what is the *real* reason.

Paolo Bellutta
I.R.S.T.                vox: +39 461 814417
loc. Pante' di Povo     fax: +39 461 810851
38050 POVO (TN)         e-mail: bellutta@irst.uucp
ITALY                           bellutta%irst@uunet.uu.net

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (08/22/90)

In article <5834@uwm.edu> bellutta@irst.it (Paolo Bellutta) writes:
>TV/Radio Stations:
>When a record is transmitted I can understand that the microphone *must* be
>compressed *and* limited so that the transmitted signal fits the FCC
>specifications, but why compress and limit the music also?  Is that for the
>fact that different records have different recording levels?  If that is the
>reason, are the level controls on the mixers used just to collect dust?

Basically, they're greedy.  They want to be able to reach the most people
they can with their music (and advertisements).  If they compress
everything, the people in the fringe areas can hear them over the noise.
Since they can't raise the highest level (because of the FCC), they
raise the _average_ level.

>Paolo Bellutta
>I.R.S.T.                vox: +39 461 814417
>loc. Pante' di Povo     fax: +39 461 810851
>38050 POVO (TN)         e-mail: bellutta@irst.uucp
>ITALY                           bellutta%irst@uunet.uu.net

And now for my question...

How many people out there are annoyed more than words can describe that
commercials on TV are noticeably louder than the TV shows?  (almost as if
the TV shows are being limited to some level less than the level the
commercials are being limited to).  Is this as annoying to other people
as it is to me?  Is there anything we can _do_ about this?  (write
letters to the TV stations, etc)
"The beauty queen, clevely clad,                    Logan Shaw
 admires herself in a cigarette ad.                 lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Will she admit that all was in vain                ========================
 when the face in her mirror cracks like a windowpane?"
              -Elim Hall, _Things_Break_

urban@harvard.harvard.edu (Mark Urban-Lurain) (08/23/90)

In article <5862@uwm.edu> lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:

>How many people out there are annoyed more than words can describe that
>commercials on TV are noticeably louder than the TV shows?  (almost as if
>the TV shows are being limited to some level less than the level the
>commercials are being limited to).  Is this as annoying to other people
>as it is to me?  Is there anything we can _do_ about this?  (write
>letters to the TV stations, etc)

Yes it is annoying, but no, they are not louder, just more compressed.
It is only partly the fault of the stations.  The commercials come to
them VERY compressed specifically to make their average level louder so
that they stand out (hard to do with 10 or more 10 second commercials in
a break).  If you have the ability to monitor the broadcast levels (with
a VCR or tape recorder with meters) watch.  Set your maximum level
during the "loudest" commercial.  Then, during the program, watch the
levels. There will be some peaks at the maximum level, but the average
modulation will have a wider dynamic range, and lower average level.

What to do?  Sure, write letters to the stations (kill a tree).  You
might write to the specific advertisers and tell them you will NOT buy
their product as long as their commercials are annoying.  A TV with a
MUTE button on the remote control helps.  Record all programs on your
VCR then nuke the commercials with the FF button.  Just remember, the
program is filler to string between commercials.  Stations don't make
money on programs, only on the commercials.

--
Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

urban@harvard.harvard.edu (Mark Urban-Lurain) (08/23/90)

In article <5834@uwm.edu> bellutta@irst.it (Paolo Bellutta) writes:

>Recording Studios:
>  I can understand that voice for example sounds better when a
>limiter is used, but why *everything* must be limited and/or compressed?

As a former audio engineer in various public radio and TV stations,
here's my perspective.  Use of compression is a production decision in
the recording studio.  It is just one more tool (like EQ) available to
the producer.  Unfortunately, many (rock) artists and producers like
the compressed sound, it seems "louder" and "denser".  In addition,
although CD's have wide dynamic range, cassette is still the dominant
medium for popular music (played on mid-fi equipment in most cases) so
many producers feel that they must target this audience.

>TV/Radio Stations:
>When a record is transmitted I can understand that the microphone *must* be
>compressed *and* limited so that the transmitted signal fits the FCC
>specifications, but why compress and limit the music also?  Is that for the
>fact that different records have different recording levels?

Nope, it is because maximum modulation is 100%.  Now, it makes no
difference to the FCC what the average modulation level is, so to sound
"louder" than the competition, stations compress / limit (they are two
different processes) so that their average level is as high as possible
without being over 100%.  There are a number of companies who do nothing
but make "signal processing" equipment for broadcast use that does just
this.  Many of them compress different frequency bands individually
(like a limiter on each equalizer control) to allow "shaping" of the
final sound.  It's all fairly gross, but management usually pressures
engineering to "make it louder" after the program director scans all the
stations on his car radio and finds one louder than his.

One reason I prefered working as an engineer in public broadcasting was
that they were more concerned with quality than quantity. However, in
recent years, with fund raising being a big part of public broadcasting,
management was adopting similar attitudes there.

You CAN write a letter to the stations, telling them that you think
their sound is lousy.  Best to point out the best sounding station in
the market (they'll know it too, but don't think the audience can tell).
It won't do much good, but it may help the engineers resist moron
program directors.

--

pozar@uunet.UU.NET (Tim Pozar) (08/23/90)

In article <5834@uwm.edu> bellutta@irst.it (Paolo Bellutta) writes:
>I've seen some messages from people working in recording studios and in
>TV/Radio stations.  This message is mainly for them.
>
>TV/Radio Stations:
>When a record is transmitted I can understand that the microphone *must* be
>compressed *and* limited so that the transmitted signal fits the FCC
>specifications, but why compress and limit the music also?
    Actually, the FCC asks that all the programme material be within
a specified limit.  Not too low, nor too high. (Kinda silly about
a low limit with all the talk about market-place regulation...)

    Some station programme directors (and sometimes engineers) feel
that the 'louder' the station, the better.  With 'loud' or dense
audio the station 'jumps out' on the dial.  Also, by creative processing
the PD can colour the sound so as to provide some idenity to the
station.  This is called 'positioning'.

    The argument to this is listener fatigue, and preservation of
dynamic range.  Also, some stations use the lack of processing as
a way to 'position' themselves.  The station I am the Chief Engineer
for (KKSF-FM / San Francisco), uses the lack of processing for exactly
that.  I pride the station on being very audiophile. (My little plug.)

>Is that for the fact that different records have different recording
>levels?
    No but records have different "loudness densities".  Compression
and limiting for the stations that feel that they need it, is used
to homoginize the density as well as increase the loudness.  The latter
being the most important task for audio processing.

>All this may sound a bit rude but I think that what high-end people are
>really missing is the dynamic range of the original sound.
    True, but you are a very small minority.  And that may sound a bit
rude too, but that is the way you are seen by most of the programme
directors out there.  If you are upset by this, pick your favorite
over-processed radio station and address your letter to the 'Program
Director' and the 'Chief Engineer'.  You may get a letter back, but
it is unlikely you will change any minds.

>Since the people I'm asking this question *work* with audio I'd like to know
>what is the *real* reason.

    You got a very striped down version of what goes on behind the
scenes in radio.  For further discussions, you can drop me a line or
give me a call.  Since you are in Italy, you may just want to drop me
a line :-).

                  Tim

--
Tim Pozar    Try also...
uunet!hoptoad!kumr!pozar      Fido: 1:125/555      PaBell: (415) 788-3904

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (08/24/90)

In article <5870@uwm.edu> hoptoad!kumr!pozar@uunet.UU.NET (Tim Pozar) writes:
>In article <5834@uwm.edu> bellutta@irst.it (Paolo Bellutta) writes:
>>When a record is transmitted I can understand that the microphone *must* be
>>compressed *and* limited so that the transmitted signal fits the FCC
>>specifications, but why compress and limit the music also?
>    Actually, the FCC asks that all the programme material be within
>a specified limit.

I'd like to share my experiences working in a College station (WTJU -
Charlottesville, Va). I DJed a Classical show there during the fall and
winter of 1988 when I was attending the University of Virginia.

Our station had (still has?) a particular problem with variable sound
quality - a problem due to the volunteer nature of a college station itself.
Most individuals who DJ for a college station do so for musical rather than
technical interests, in fact I found the technical background of many of
the DJs rather limited. The non-technical types do not understand the
calibration of the VU meters on the console with respect to the transmitter.
Several individuals regularly drove the needles far into the red when
playing music - the fact that the transmitters limiters were kicking in
preventing the 150% modulation requested of them was lost to those listening
over the monitor speakers.

    	 I was particularly careful to watch the modulation
meter when setting levels for a disk - as a result my programs tended to be
3 to 6 db quieter than those following or preceeding (something that I was
repremanded about once - for the low levels, that is).

The hypothetical station manager who demands that his station be "the loudest"
probably wouldn't appreciate dynamic range if it hit him over the head.

Tim Takahashi

KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV (08/24/90)

Radio stations overcompress things:

1. So the level controls on the mixer do collect dust.  DJ's are usually
   not too good at gain riding.  Most stations have things set up so you
   just bring the slider up to the mark and leave it there.

2. To increase range.  If the overall modulation level (the effective
   loudness of the signal) is lower than the noise floor, you'll hear
   noise.  By keeping the peak modulation level as high as possible,
   your signal will be above the noise floor even when the noise is
   higher.  This is important in fringe areas, and in cities where
   reflection is a major problem.  (In actuality, reducing power down
   an order of magnitude or two will eliminate reflection problems in\
   cities and not really reduce the range in the downtown area much
   at all... but stations seem to think that more power is better).

3. To increase the perceived loudness of the station.  Since people only
   listen to one station for 2.3 minutes on the average anyway, and
   since as they flip across the dial, they tend to stop on the loudest
   stations, it's important to make your signal louder than anybody
   else's.  Some stations (like KPRT, Los Angeles) add deliberate
   second-harmonic distortion to give their station a 'characteristic
   sound' so that people can identify it as they turn by.  Much like
   the horrible reverb chamber that Radio Moscow uses.

Commercial radio and high fidelity are not even remotely related.
Big money and commercial radio are much more tightly connected.
--scott