[rec.audio.high-end] speaker placement

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (09/14/90)

I was wondering if there were any general guidelines about speaker
placement.  I imagine it varies tremendously depending on speaker,
room, etc.

My main problem is bass resonance.  I have my speakers about two feet
from the side walls and three feet from the back wall.  They are on
one inch tiptoes.  I would like to reduce the coupling between the
speakers and the floor even more.  What should I do?

I don't have a fancy system.  The speakers are from GNP, a small shop
in Pasadena.  They are about the same price as Vandersteen 2ci's, but
I thought these sounded better.  Again, it's nothing fancy, but I'd
just like to get the most for my money.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu <<-- next, we need curtains.  ahh, the joys of
                            moving.

drm2@mvuxn.att.com (David R Moran) (09/18/90)

In article <6316@uwm.edu>, sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:

> I was wondering if there were any general guidelines about speaker
> placement.
>
> My main problem is bass resonance. [Edited. -tjk] > What should I do?

Again: To get the least ripple (peak/dip) response in the 100-
1000 Hz decade, you must site your speakers so that the driver
reproducing this range (especially the lower part, in case there
are two drivers handling the chore) is at _maximally different_
distances from the three nearest boundaries (floor, front
wall, side wall). The more the distances are the same -- the
more cubical the placement -- the worse the ripple.

The easiest way to compute "maximal difference" is to
satisfy the equation B squared = A x C for A/B/C not equal.

The difference this makes is striking -- it fills in the
suckout almost every non-Allison system has just below
middle C, where voices and cellos lie (and other sounds).

It is not all that easy to achieve this staggered distancing; it is
especially tough if you use stands. A woofer 18" off the
floor and the same distance from front and side walls will
have bad suckout and ripple. Of course, many audiophile find
this diminution in the 100-400 Hz area to be pleasing and
opens up the sound and imaging above, however inaccurate it is.

It is also important, but not as much, to site your listening
head similarly staggered -- that is, don't sit 3 feet from
side and back wall, because your ears will probly be 3' off the floor....

Not following these physical rules is the single greatest drawback
in audiophiles' understanding of acoustics and the resultant sound
they get, and usually rave about. They should see what the response
at their ears is from their speakers on stands....

Happy experimenting and good luck!