[rec.audio.high-end] Info-High-Audio-Digest #9.10

korenek@ficc.ferranti.com (gary korenek) (09/19/90)

bilver!bill@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Vermillion) writes:
> The general consensus among those in the business is not
> how good your hearing is, but how well you listen, or learned
> to listen.

'Learning to listen' is why people trade up to high-end audio
gear.  Over time, the old Decca mono record player just doesn't
sound that great anymore.

Many years ago when I was a high-end audio salesperson, we had
a name for people that made claims to superior trained listening
abilities - ''Golden Ears''.

I believe myself to be a Golden Ears of a sort.  When listening
to music, I listen for various things at different times.  I
listen for the attack of a drum stick hitting a cymbal.  I listen
for the Guitar track.  I listen for the Bass line.  I listen for
how the music was mixed.  I listen for amount of Dynamic Range
present.  I listen for things that do not sound 'right'.  I
listen to what my ears tell me:  am I becoming fatigued or
irritated?  I listen for soundstage:  does it sound like 2
boxes with music coming out of them, or are there discernable
instruments/vocals coming from the 'middle' of the speakers?
I listen for noise:  record pops/clicks, noise coming from the
electronics.  Etc., etc.

For me, this type of listening happens automatically.  It is
habit that I have formed over the years.  It is what makes
listening to reproduced music fun.  It is the difference between
just hearing a song vs. appreciating all it took to get it
performed, recorded, and reproduced in my living room.

Listening-wise, I am not a snob.  I realize that different people
are at different points on the scale in their own 'listening
training'.

Gary Korenek
(korenek@ficc.ferranti.com)
Ferranti  International  Controls  Corp.
Sugar Land, Texas          (713)274-5357