[rec.audio.high-end] Cartridge Recommendation: Sumiko?

rkarlqu@scd.hp.com (Rick Karlquist) (09/17/90)

Recently, The Absolute Sound reportedly gave a favorable review
of the Sumiko Blue Cartridge, saying it approached high end
sound at the moderate price of $129.  I don't get TAS; could
someone who has read the review post the highlights?

Also, several years ago, either TAS or Stereophile had a
similar review of the Shure V-15 Type V, saying it was
the closest thing you could get to high end for only $129 or
so.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which of these is better.
I understand that the Sumiko is supposedly a moving coil
with high output (compatible with moving magnet preamps).
How do they do this?  Is there a transformer inside or something?
Perhaps the TAS article sheds some light on this.  Also,
does the Sumiko have a user replaceable stylus like the Shure?

I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who thinks
some other cartridge in this price range beats out both of
the above.

My purpose in getting the cartridge is not to play audiophile
discs; rather it is to transcribe some records from the 60's
and 70's (that are not available on CD) onto PCM digital tape.
Fortunately, I have carefully preserved them so that a decent
cartridge is worthwhile, but a $1000 cartridge is probably
overkill.

One interesting project I am planning to use a new cartridge
for is to get stereo versions of the first four Beatles CD's
(which are only available in mono) as follows:  I recently
purchased brand new copies of the seven Capitol Stereo LP's
containing the songs that appear on the four CD's.  I will
record them during their first playing onto PCM digital tape.
The object is to see how close I can approach the CD in sound quality.
If successful, I will avoid the dilemma of having to choose
between good mono sound and mediocre stereo sound.

Rick Karlquist
HP Santa Clara
rkarlqu@hpscdc.scd.hp.com

ofl@oz.rci.dk (Ole Frank Larsen) (09/19/90)

In <6358@uwm.edu> rkarlqu@scd.hp.com (Rick Karlquist) writes:

>Recently, The Absolute Sound reportedly gave a favorable review
>of the Sumiko Blue Cartridge, saying it approached high end
>sound at the moderate price of $129.  I don't get TAS; could
>someone who has read the review post the highlights?

I've seen it quoted here in USENET for as little as $89.

I have now read so much in favor of the Sumiko Oyster Blue Point,
that I've decide to go and listen to one. But here in Denmark, nobody
seems to have heard about it before. I've come to the point were I
would be willing to by one without hearing it first, so:

Does anyone have an address of the manufacturer or of any mail-order
company that sells it? Preferably in Europe, but US dealers addresses
are also welcome.

My turntable is a Rega Planar 3, currently equipped with a Rega Bias
cartridge (the cheap one) of which I'm not entirely satisfied.

>I understand that the Sumiko is supposedly a moving coil
>with high output (compatible with moving magnet preamps).
>How do they do this?  Is there a transformer inside or something?

I *think* they are using a coil with more turns.

>I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who thinks
>some other cartridge in this price range beats out both of
>the above.

Me too.

Thank you in advance
--
Ole Frank Larsen.                       RC International, Denmark
ofl@rci.dk                              Hackers do it with fewer instructions