[rec.audio.high-end] DAT for $800 ?

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (08/20/90)

I've been doing a lot of looking and listening to the new Sony DAT which is
selling for $800 (at high-end stores, higher price at "superstores") and
have been somewhat impressed by the quality of sound and construction.

I have two questions however, regarding both this Sony model and DAT in
general:

1)	DAT moves the tape along at ~4 mm/s. The head rotates at ~2000 rpm.
	The combination of these two lend me to believe that the head will
	wear down fairly quickly. This might apply to wear of the tape as
	well. In the manual for their new DAT, Sony recommends using a
	DAT cleaning cassette (which I haven't seen in this country yet)
	once a month.
	The rest of the DAT technology seems wonderful and complete with
	strong construction.
	Will the head wear down quickly? If so, would you need to replace
	the whole DAT unit to fix it, or could the head be replaced (and at
	what cost) ????

2)	This new Sony DAT sits comfortably within my spending budget, being
	sold at most high-end stores for $799.95. Does this lower-priced
	DAT suggest that even lower priced DAT's will be soon in coming
	(DAT's for ~600) ????

Any opinions or suggestions, PLEASE!

dg@mtqua.att.com (Duane Galensky) (08/22/90)

lower priced DATs are already available overseas.  i know of units
made by aiwa that sell for about $600 US in japan...this particular
unit is a super-compact walkman sized affair for on-location use.

i have the sony DAT and a cleaning cassette is mandatory.  they are
available in the US (try Uncle Steves on canal st. in NYC).  as for
the rotation's effect on head wear, i suppose time will tell, however, i
have a VCR that's lasted for many years with no noticeable degradation
in playback quality.  the tapes are very high quality...made to exacting
tolerances...and i feel comfortable that on a system basis the setup
will perform reliably for many years.

i am sensitive to re-recording tape however...i believe
that stressing the little domains too many times can lead to bit errors
that eventually cause noticeable degradation.  tape dropout will
be a notorious nemesis to the DAT-ter.   playback's contribution
to tape wear would seem to be significantly less.

duane

rubin@cis.ohio-state.edu (Daniel Rubin) (08/24/90)

>i am sensitive to re-recording tape however...i believe
>that stressing the little domains too many times can lead to bit errors
>that eventually cause noticeable degradation.  tape dropout will
>be a notorious nemesis to the DAT-ter.   playback's contribution
>to tape wear would seem to be significantly less.
>
>duane

I have an Exabyte 4mm tape drive that I use to make weekly backups.
The 4mm tape is really made for Digital Audio and the information
is recorded on the tape the same way that digital audio is recorded on
the tape.  I have used a single tape for over a year now and just had
to retrieve a file last week and it was 100% error free.  After 50+
re-recordings the information is still 100% error free and it doesn't even
have to be 100% error free for digital audio.  I really don't think that
there will be a problem recording over the same tape many times.

							- Dan Rubin

erich@inmet.inmet.com (08/27/90)

Assuming the recording industry is not able to block foreign manufacturers...

If the Japanese are allowed to flood the US market with DAT decks as they
did with so many other components, then industry experts expect the decks to
plummet in price, much the same as did VCRs. Take note, VCRs started several
years ago at approximately $1000 and now can be had for under $200.

Internet:	erich@inmet.inmet.com
UUCP:		uunet!inmet!erich

bill@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Vermillion) (08/28/90)

In article <5961@uwm.edu> erich@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>Assuming the recording industry is not able to block foreign manufacturers...
>
>If the Japanese are allowed to flood the US market with DAT decks as they
>did with so many other components, then industry experts expect the decks to
>plummet in price, much the same as did VCRs. Take note, VCRs started several
>years ago at approximately $1000 and now can be had for under $200.

VCRs actualy started out at about $1500.  Virtually every home in America
has a TV and can relate to a unit that will play or record pictures.  The
amount of homes who have anything more than a radio or cheap cassette
machine for ploying tapes is a much smaller figure.

Given that the VCR prices didn't really start falling until shipments in
excess of 1,000,000 per month became common about 3 years ago, and given
that the average person can't seem to tell the difference between a 6 hour
VHS tape and a 2 hour tape, it would indicate that the average person would
not need an audio system of DAT quality.  I don't suspect you will see
DAT's ever selling more than 10,000 units per month anytime in the next 5
years, if ever.

Since well over 90% of homes in America have TV, over 50% have cable, there
is a large market for VCRs.  But how many have an audio system other than a
radio, or a cheap cassette system.  Virtually the same number of people I
know who have high quality video systems, eg S-VHS or ED-Beta have
high-quality audio.  The rest seem to have audio on a par with 6 hour vhs.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

mingo@well.sf.ca.us (Charles Hawkins Mingo) (08/30/90)

In article <5813@uwm.edu> mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) writes:

>I have two questions however, regarding both this Sony model [presumably the
>DTC700] and DAT in general:
>
>1)	DAT moves the tape along at ~4 mm/s. The head rotates at ~2000 rpm.
>	The combination of these two lend me to believe that the head will
>	wear down fairly quickly. This might apply to wear of the tape as
>	well.

	DAT uses a helical scan technology quite similar to VCR taping.  Based
	on my VCR experience, the tapes should last for hundreds of playings
	unless they are abused (eg, extended pause).

>	In the manual for their new DAT, Sony recommends using a
>	DAT cleaning cassette (which I haven't seen in this country yet)
>	once a month.

	The manual for the Sony DTC700 recommends cleanings "periodically"
	and warns against cleaning "more than five times in a short period."
	I found the Maxell R-CL DAT Cleaning Cassette widely available in
	the Washington, DC area, for $13.99.

>	The rest of the DAT technology seems wonderful and complete with
>	strong construction.
>	Will the head wear down quickly?

	I think the head is pretty safe (ever hear of a VCR head wearing out?).
	It's the tape I would be more concerned about.

>	If so, would you need to replace
>	the whole DAT unit to fix it, or could the head be replaced (and at
>	what cost) ????

	The head should be separately replacable, but don't count on getting
	quick or cheap service.  At Circuit City (near Washington), I was
	told that any significant repairs would likely cost at least $300
	(which I found credible).  However, I was able to purchase a five-
	year extended warranty for $78, on top of the $779 for the DTC700.

>2)	This new Sony DAT sits comfortably within my spending budget, being
>	sold at most high-end stores for $799.95. Does this lower-priced
>	DAT suggest that even lower priced DAT's will be soon in coming
>	(DAT's for ~600) ????

	Yes.  I recall seeing an advertisement in late-July NY Times for
	a JVC DAT for about $650.  Last Sunday's NYT has an ad for a
	car DAT-player for $449.

	My personal DAT experience (after one week), is that the DTC700
	not only makes virtually perfect digital recordings, but also
	is a pretty damn good analogue tape deck, when recorded at 48kHz.
	But for the fact that I have hundreds of conventional audiotapes,
	I would get rid of my old tapedeck.  [Onkyo TA-2070 tapedeck,
	NAD 7175PE receiver, Celestron SL-6 speakers.]

--
Charlie Mingo					Internet: mingo@well.sf.ca.us
2209 Washington Circle #2			CI$:  71340,2152

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (08/31/90)

In article <5988@uwm.edu> bilver!bill@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>VCRs [started at $1500]

>Given that the VCR prices didn't really start falling until shipments in
>excess of 1,000,000 per month became common about 3 years ago, and given
>that the average person can't seem to tell the difference between a 6 hour
>VHS tape and a 2 hour tape, it would indicate that the average person would
>not need an audio system of DAT quality.  I don't suspect you will see
>DAT's ever selling more than 10,000 units per month anytime in the next 5
>years, if ever.

> [and that's why prices won't drop like a rock]

This argument seems to ignore completely the fascination the American
public has with the word "digital."  In fact, this argument could
easily have been applied to CD players.  At the time, we could have
said, "how many people need digital optical storage when a simple
phonograph record will do?"

Now that the nation is so CD conscious, I think that DAT will sell
even if the quality were not noticeably better than "normal" tape
decks of comparable price.

You drew an analogy between DAT and S-VHS.  I think a more appropriate
analogy would have been between Dolby-S and S-VHS.  DAT prices will
definitely fall below $300 in a couple of years.  I was just in Japan
this summer, where the Sony model they are pushing here for $999 could
be bought for less than $600.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu

bill@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Vermillion) (09/04/90)

In article <6042@uwm.edu> sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:

>In article <5988@uwm.edu> bilver!bill@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>>VCRs [started at $1500]
>
>>Given that the VCR prices didn't really start falling until shipments in
>>excess of 1,000,000 per month became common about 3 years ago, and given
>>that the average person can't seem to tell the difference between a 6 hour
>>VHS tape and a 2 hour tape, it would indicate that the average person would
>>not need an audio system of DAT quality.  I don't suspect you will see
>>DAT's ever selling more than 10,000 units per month anytime in the next 5
>>years, if ever.
>
>> [and that's why prices won't drop like a rock]
>
>This argument seems to ignore completely the fascination the American
>public has with the word "digital."  In fact, this argument could
>easily have been applied to CD players.  At the time, we could have
>said, "how many people need digital optical storage when a simple
>phonograph record will do?"
>
>Now that the nation is so CD conscious, I think that DAT will sell
>even if the quality were not noticeably better than "normal" tape
>decks of comparable price.

I base my feeling on what I have seen in the audio business over the past
umpteem-jillion years.  I remember when the LP was introduced and I remeber
the speed wars between the 45's and LPs.

I also remember when the first stereo devices were available, and the
machines to play them on.   Reel to reel 7.5 ips, two track with staggered
heads.  Then they finally got inline heads.  Then they got 4-track heads so
they were finally able to bring the tapes close to LP prices.  The first
stereo tapes were typically a selection of the "best" tracks from a given
LP because the maximum time was 30 minutes, while most LP's were 45
minutes.

Some of the first stereo recordings for the "hi-fi" group were made just
about the time the LP's were introduced.  The stereo LP followed about 8
years later.

I do NOT disagree that the public is CD concious and that they do
recognize the leap in quality.  I do disagree with your conclusion that
there will be a jump to DAT.   For the "average" user the CD will probably
become the unit of choice.   The cassette was a late-comer and did push the
LP to the back while CD's killed it - but NOT because it was a recording
and playback media, but because it was a convenient, and for the average
use, a better medium than disc.  It didn't break, it didn't scratch, and
worked in cars quite well.

History has shown that there is always a pre-dominant media for playback
while there have been alternative methods available.  The average user
doesn't need/use the record capabilities of the cassette.  Although many
copied their LP's to casette for cars, others copied them to cassette to
prevent wear.   The CD offers so many advantages, including all the
advantages the cassettes offered except recording, that I personally can
not see the DAT impacting the market to the extent cassettes did.

There will be many DAT sales, but I don't think it will be the amount you
suggest.

>You drew an analogy between DAT and S-VHS.  I think a more appropriate
>analogy would have been between Dolby-S and S-VHS.  DAT prices will
>definitely fall below $300 in a couple of years.  I was just in Japan
>this summer, where the Sony model they are pushing here for $999 could
>be bought for less than $600.

 I don't recall any analogy I made between DAT and S-VHS, and I can't see
 where one would be appropriate.  DAT prices will of course fall, but with
 complete "boom-boxes" selling for under $200 with
 CD/Cassette/AM-FM/Amp/Speaker there is no incentive for the average person
 to go to a DAT.

Don't let your background/tastes/experiences distort your perception of
the average user.  After all you are reading rec.audio.high-end and the
average user doesn't care what we discuss here.

I base my observations from working originally in the broadcast medium and
later the recording industry and knowing what the average use listened to.
And you notice I stressed average many times in the above.
You will also find that there are TVs, and hence the base
requisite for a VCR in most of the homes in America, and you will not find
audio penetration to that extent.

I stand by my contention that DAT will not be common media, and that it
will not be as cheap as you predict.

Time will tell.  If I remember, I will re-post this article, and make
appropriate comments 5 to 10 years fron now :-) ;-)

bill

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

peb@uunet.UU.NET (Paul Baclaski) (09/13/90)

>not need an audio system of DAT quality.  I don't suspect you will see
>DAT's ever selling more than 10,000 units per month anytime in the next 5
>years, if ever.

I would suspect that the volume of DAT or writable CDs would be
at least comparable to current levels of cassette tape systems
being sold.  The fact that people are willing to pay higher
prices for CDs than for vinyl is sufficient proof that audio
quality matters to large numbers of people.  Perhaps people who
record video using 1/3 speed VHS do it because they sit far away
from their television/monitor and are recording disposable stuff
that is never viewed again...I sometimes use the slow speeds to
record things in this manner because I might be low on tape, but
if the material is very important, I only use full speed VHS.

Does anyone have the figures for current monthly shipments of
cassette decks?  This must be larger than 10000 per month.

Paul
peb@autodesk.com

dg@mtqua.att.com (Duane Galensky) (09/20/90)

In article <6282@uwm.edu>, autodesk!peb@uunet.UU.NET (Paul Baclaski) writes:

> >not need an audio system of DAT quality.  I don't suspect you will see
> >DAT's ever selling more than 10,000 units per month anytime in the next 5
> >years, if ever.
>
> I would suspect that the volume of DAT or writable CDs would be
> at least comparable to current levels of cassette tape systems
> being sold.  The fact that people are willing to pay higher
> prices for CDs than for vinyl is sufficient proof that audio
> quality matters to large numbers of people.  Perhaps people who
> record video using 1/3 speed VHS do it because they sit far away
> from their television/monitor and are recording disposable stuff
> that is never viewed again...I sometimes use the slow speeds to
> record things in this manner because I might be low on tape, but
> if the material is very important, I only use full speed VHS.

it's not as simple as all that, i believe.  most folks are willing
to pay more $$s for CDs not only because of quality (in fact some
audiophiles may differ in this regard!) but also for convenience
(direct program access, small size) and durability (less prone to
damage from abuse, both media and player).  most of the systems on
which i've heard CDs don't really benefit from the technology: a
good quality analog cassette would sound just as pleasing considering
the limitations of other components.  unfortunately, DATs do not have
the convenience and durability advantages over analog cassettes that
CDs have over albums (my sony offers direct track access, but it's
as one would expect for a tape drive: slow).  i don't see a big
market demand for the units, except for us nuts who like expensive
toys or are into recording live performances.

this of course is bad news to those who pay upwards of $15.00 per
blank cassette.  (by the way, uncle steve's in NYC offers maxell
120 min. DAT blanks for under $9.00!!  perhaps i'll become a
reseller!)

duane