[rec.audio.high-end] Insurance

lrb@rrivax.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) (09/17/90)

what experience do you have with insurance companies and your high end.

when i got my latest policy and at each years renewal, i ask them if
my $$$$$ dollar systems are a problem. they always say no.

as a lot of know, i destroyed my shinon red. the company, after getting
over the leap that 1" X 3/4" X 1/2" of metal will cost a grand to replace,
has been stalling.

the last i heard was "gee, we cannot find your policy, we will phone you
within seconds of finding it."  that was two weeks ago. my local broker is
on their back, but it looks like they are trying to figure out a way to
not pay. they have been playing games such as not returning calls, lying
etc.

what do people do out there to protect their systems? i am talking
about
	replacement coverage
	accidental damage
	theft

anyone had a good company?

_________________________________
Lance R. Bailey, Systems Manager | Robarts Research Institute
email: lrb@rri.uwo.ca            | Clinical Trials Resources Group
  vox: 519-663-3787 ext. 4108    | P.O. Box 5015, 100 Perth Dr.
  fax: 519-663-3789              | London, Canada N6A 5K8

jas@proteon.com (John A. Shriver) (09/18/90)

I have not tired to get "floater" coverage on my equipment, so I don't
think I would have coverage for accidental breakage.  (Just theft,
fire, flood, etc.)

However, my insurance company was not willing to insure my record
collection.  They didn't have enough faith in the stability,
predicability, or objectivity of the prices on the records.  This is
quite an annoyance, since the collection is far harder to replace than
the equipment.  (Five years have been spent haunting the used record
market.)

The same company is perfecly willing to insure photographic equipment,
given an appriasal by a licensed appraiser.  The market there is
larger, and the prices more stable.  Of course, even there, they
probably would not have insured a collection of 70 year old
one-of-a-kind cameras.

The best way to be sure an insurance company will really cover
something is to have it itemized (with appriasal) as an attachment to
the policy.  If they saw a $1000 cartridge, they probably would have
applied the "jewelery" rules to it.

Has anyone managed to insure an expensive record collection?  Does
anyone know who Harry Pearson has his insurance policy with?  He said
some very nasty things about his old insurer after the fire.  I'm sure
his records are insured now!

wong@ecf.toronto.edu (WONG PETER CC) (09/21/90)

In article <6394@uwm.edu> jas@proteon.com (John A. Shriver) writes:
>I have not tired to get "floater" coverage on my equipment, so I don't
>think I would have coverage for accidental breakage.  (Just theft,
>fire, flood, etc.)
>
>[...]
>
>Has anyone managed to insure an expensive record collection?  Does
>anyone know who Harry Pearson has his insurance policy with?  He said
>some very nasty things about his old insurer after the fire.  I'm sure
>his records are insured now!

   I'm a disc jockey and my equipment and accessories are not insured
for professional engagements. Amateur events allow for the home insurance
policy to cover losses for ANY reason (at least from my company State Farm).

   This lack of protection in a potentially dangerous environment (cracked
speaker cones, flying beer, rowdy patrons toppling towers of sound
equipment, etc...) scared me so I inquired as to insurance for a
professional musician/DJ/whatever. I can buy special insurance (I forget
the name) to cover specific items in my household against non-standard
mishaps/situations such as self-damage, professional usage of equipment,
etc.... Based on my situation, my State Farm agent quoted an approximate
over the phone figure of $300-$500/yr for each $10,000 worth of equipment
which would cover my records, cartridges, etc....

   I would think this insurance for professionals could be extended
to any individual for like items. You buy as much insurance as you
think your record collection is worth. If you self-appraise your
collection higher than it's actually worth, then you just have to
pay the premium.

   NOTE: Canadian State Farm officials operate separately from its
         US counterpart (they said so themselves) so this practice
         may be country/agent independent.

--
 | wong@ecf.toronto.edu          |  Peter Wong                           |
 |   "   " .utoronto.ca          |  Department of Industrial Engineering |