[rec.audio.high-end] record cleaning fluids

FCFIFRAGA%CIUC2.UC.RCCN.PT@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (FRANCISCO AMARAL F FRAGA) (09/19/90)

A friend of mine has a good professional cleaning machine (vaccum type).
I would like to use it, but no one sells good record cleaning fluids
in this country nowadays. Because this liquids are usualy extremely
flamable it is quite difficult to import them, but our chemmical lab
has lots of solvents and cleaners and I could easily made it, if I
knew how. ( I want to clean my records, not to solve them).

If someone has a good formula (please state if has been tested ) plese
e-mail it to me. I have been told that destilled water and alchool with
a few drops of a wetting agent will do the job. What do you think about?

Francisco A. F. Fraga
Dept. Physics
Univ. Coimbra
3000 Coimbra PORTUGAL tel. 351-39-34668 fax 351-39-29158
FCFIFRAGA@CIUC2.UC.RCCN.PT

bill@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Vermillion) (09/20/90)

In article <6427@uwm.edu> FCFIFRAGA%CIUC2.UC.RCCN.PT@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (FRANCISCO AMARAL F FRAGA) writes:
>A friend of mine has a good professional cleaning machine (vaccum type).
>I would like to use it, but no one sells good record cleaning fluids
>in this country nowadays. Because this liquids are usualy extremely
>flamable it is quite difficult to import them, but our chemmical lab
>has lots of solvents and cleaners and I could easily made it, if I
>knew how. ( I want to clean my records, not to solve them).
>
>If someone has a good formula (please state if has been tested ) plese
>e-mail it to me. I have been told that destilled water and alchool with
>a few drops of a wetting agent will do the job. What do you think about?

I recall reading that that is what all the pre-mixed solutions do.  Make
sure that the alcohol contents is not over 25% in the final solution.
There needs to be enough to disolve any residual oils, and much more would
probably only hasten the leaching of the plastic.  Water, being the
universal solvent, is a good pairing with the alcohol.  And the wetting
agent makes sure the water will penetrate to the bottom of the groove.

When the cheaper units first hit the markets about 10 years ago (eg VPI and
Nitty Gritty while the Monks was still way over $1000) one of the reviewers
in one of the trades, and I think it might have been Audio magazine,
suggested using 1 quart of 100 proof vodka to 1 quart of water - but I'd be
sure to test it on something that was not important before trying it.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

chowkwan@aerospace.aero.org (09/22/90)

Torumat contains no alcohol.  It also costs $15 for 16 oz.
$80 for 1 gallon.  Ouch.  You have to weigh that against
the worth of your vinyl.  (Alcohol leaches out the plasticizers,
makin records brittle).

In case there's still a US audiophile out there who's been in a coma
this past year, mainstream classical vinyl is close to extinction
in the US.  I called around several stores in LA purporting to be
purveyors of the plastic stuff and the largest one had 2,000 discs
in stock.  They all said that after current stocks are gone - that's
it.  Of course there are places that sell audiophile quality stuff
but the range of music is severely limited and even then you have to
wonder what happens to supply when the pressing plants close (e.g. JVC).

Anyone want to share their vinyl sources with the net?  Or is
that sort of information a jealously guarded secret in these
dark days of the Twilight of Vinyl?  If only we could bring
back reel to reel - now that's real analog.

The situation in Europe seems to be better.  Could Euro-netters
comment?  The latest issue of Absolute Sound had a reader's letter
recommending Gramex in London, in case anyone's going to London
on vacation anytime soon.

A sensible approach (fiscally speaking) would seem to be
to clean only when the record seems real dirty.  For everyday
use rely on a carbon fiber brush such as the Hunt (quality product
Made in Great Britain - oxymoron?  Just a quip, just a quip.
Flame off anglophiles.)  I just got a Hunt and recommend it highly.
The carbon fibers drain off static so your record isn't a dust
magnet after cleaning.  Still, Enid Lumley recommends Zerostating
after the Hunt but I haven't found this to be necessary.  She
also recommends a squirt of Stylast on the (surprise) stylus
before each play.  She claims Stylast improves the sound as well
as protecting stylus and record.  Haven't had a chance to try this
yet - could we have comments from Stylast users?

-- ray