[rec.audio.high-end] IMPORTANT: Call/Write your Congressman

kucharsk@dancer.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (09/22/90)

This is an important plea to phone/write your Congressman and tell him how you
feel.  According to a report in this morning's Denver Rocky Mountain News, one
of the taxes being talked about by Congress (like the increased beer tax) is a
10% luxury tax on the cost of electronic items over $1000.  For example, this
means if you bought a $2700 pair of speakers, you'd have to pay an additional
$170 luxury tax.

Considering that high-end audio is one of the only areas of consumer electronics
which consists of only American products, that fact alone should, at least
theoretically, give the folks in Washington food for thought.
| Internet:   kucharsk@Solbourne.COM	      |	William Kucharski             |
| uucp:	...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk |	Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |
=== The sentiments expressed above are MY opinions, NOT those of Solbourne. ===

howard@lage.lysator.liu.se (MindWalker) (09/24/90)

kucharsk@dancer.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:

>This is an important plea to phone/write your Congressman and tell him how you
>feel.  According to a report in this morning's Denver Rocky Mountain News, one
>of the taxes being talked about by Congress (like the increased beer tax) is a
>10% luxury tax on the cost of electronic items over $1000.  For example, this
>means if you bought a $2700 pair of speakers, you'd have to pay an additional
>$170 luxury tax.

Ah, this one almost makes me smile. Living in Sweden, I'm used to 25% tax
on almost EVERYTHING, making a $2700 pair of speakers cost $3375. Add to this
the fact that the speakers are probably imported for $2700, a 6% customs
charge, the Swedish dealers 20% mark up and 25% sales tax = $4293. So go ahead,
write to your Congressman before it's too late...

/MHd

--
Programming isn't a science,        | Foo:    howard@lysator.liu.se
it's an art.                        | Bar:    d89marho@odalix.ida.liu.se

stiv@stat5.rice.edu (david n stivers) (09/25/90)

In article <6541@uwm.edu> kucharsk@dancer.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) writes:
>This is an important plea to phone/write your Congressman and tell him how you
>feel.  According to a report in this morning's Denver Rocky Mountain News, one
>of the taxes being talked about by Congress (like the increased beer tax) is a
>10% luxury tax on the cost of electronic items over $1000.  For example, this
>means if you bought a $2700 pair of speakers, you'd have to pay an additional
>$170 luxury tax.

Is a speaker really an electronic device?  I guess you could consider
it so if you counted the crossover-then maybe it could be could be sold
separately as an accessory?

>Considering that high-end audio is one of the only areas of consumer electronics
>which consists of only American products, that fact alone should, at least
                        ^^^^^^^^ you mean US made?(sorry, just being nit-picky)
>theoretically, give the folks in Washington food for thought.

While a luxury tax is arguably (though not in this forum) a good idea, it does
seem somewhat ironic that a tax that is almost certainly aimed at the Japanese
would have serious effects on the few remaining US consumer electronics
manufacturers.  However, don't forget that there are a large number of high-end
electronic products that are not made in the US, eg. Bryston, Linn (if by your
definition of high-end you mean items that cost >$1000).  If they truly are
attempting to aim at the Japanese, than $1000 is a ridiculously high figure.
If they're not, I would argue that there are better places to start implementing
a luxury tax than consumer audio equipment, and its effect on US manufacturers
would be only one point (self interest? moi?).

david n stivers stiv@rice.edu