[rec.audio.high-end] Record Cleaning Solution and Class A Amplifiers

KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV (09/27/90)

On class-A amplifiers:
   So if you are worried about heating problems, put your amp outside.
Since I don't have air conditioning, I just stick a quiet fan near it
and put it near an open window.  It still draws a lot of current, but
it draws less current than an air conditioner would and makes me feel
better.  Turn off the air conditioner and put on Finlandia and you'll
be significantly more chilled :-).

On alcohol in records:
   I got a comment from someone who said that using Photo-Flo caused
mold growth on his records.  A quick call to the Kodak people revealed
that this often happened if excessive concentrations were used, or the
solution wasn't changed regularly.  I use enough of the stuff that I
have never had a problem (and film gelatin is more favorable to growth
than vinyl is).  So be careful, but use it.
   LAST contains alcohol.  It contains a lot of other things, too.  It's
not a record cleaner at all, though; it seems to contain vinyl plasticizers
which it adds to the record, so it's certainly not going to cause a problem.
If you use it like the label recommends, it's great stuff.  Only for use
on vinyl, though.  Acetates and 78's will not deal well with it.
--scott

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz (Greg Calkin) (10/01/90)

In article <6631@uwm.edu> KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV writes:
>On class-A amplifiers:
>   So if you are worried about heating problems, put your amp outside.
>Since I don't have air conditioning, I just stick a quiet fan near it
>and put it near an open window.  It still draws a lot of current, but
>it draws less current than an air conditioner would and makes me feel
>better.  Turn off the air conditioner and put on Finlandia and you'll
>be significantly more chilled :-).

I have a pair of Plinius Model 9 custom's (NZ amp, very good value for money
here) which used to run very hot till I lifted them of the grounf to get
some air circulation around them (placed each of them on top of a couple a
wine bottles) and the tempurature dropped considerably. They are now stable
at a reasonably cool temperature, irrespective of how hard they are run.

I stole the idea, but it works, even in summer.

--
Greg Calkin, Systems Engineer {include "sexual_hard_sell"}   (greg@tcnz.co.nz)
Thomas Cook N.Z. Limited, PO Box 24, Auckland CPO, New Zealand, Ph (09)-793920