[rec.audio.high-end] Class A amps

KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV (09/25/90)

Class A amplifiers are not ecologically unsound.  They do not make energy
disappear, they merely transform it into heat.  For example, a 120 watt
Citation II amplifier pulls 750W idling (and also 750W when in operation).
This means when it's idling, it dissipates 750W as heat, and it is just as
efficient in this as an electric space heater.  Granted it is not as
good a way of heating your house as possible, but it isn't bad.  So think
of your amplifier as taking a load off of your furnace in the winter.
--scott
   (formerly kludge@pyr.gatech.edu... ask chen@debesys about my amplifier)

gt4586c@prism.gatech.edu (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (09/26/90)

In article <6584@uwm.edu>, KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV writes:
> Class A amplifiers are not ecologically unsound.  They do not make energy
> disappear, they merely transform it into heat.  For example, a 120 watt
> Citation II amplifier pulls 750W idling (and also 750W when in operation).
> This means when it's idling, it dissipates 750W as heat, and it is just as
> efficient in this as an electric space heater.  Granted it is not as
> good a way of heating your house as possible, but it isn't bad.  So think
> of your amplifier as taking a load off of your furnace in the winter.
> --scott
>    (formerly kludge@pyr.gatech.edu... ask chen@debesys about my amplifier)

Of course, there's the opposite problem in summer, when you have to run your
air conditioner harder to keep your room comfortable.  And then there are
those nice fall and spring days when you can just open your windows to get
your house to a nice temperature - with your Class A heater you've reduced
the number of days in which this is possible and increased the number of
days when you have to run your AC.  Of course from the Second Law of
Thermodynamics we knew we couldn't win anyway.

Judging from a couple of Email responses I received from my original post,
some of you just see red when the word environmental is spoken.  Let me
reassure all of you that I was not about to go before Congress and recommend
that Class A amplifiers be banned as ecologically unsound.  Whether you
care about the environment or not, it seems that idling a Class A amp all
day and night at 400+W is wasteful of money and equipment longevity.  The
answer I was looking for was finally posted recently - use a variac to
reduce the voltage given to the amp when idling, and hence reduce the power
dissipated.

Now the question is:  has anybody used their class A amp in conjunction with
a variac?  Does it have any unwanted audible side-effects?  Also, a recent
poster noted that he couldn't tell the difference when his amp had preheated
for half-an-hour versus a whole day.  Has anybody else performed a similar
experiment and would like to comment?

And, as always, let us all try to be polite in our discussions here.

--
thomas willett
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

sjc@fmg.bt.co.uk (Steve Colwill) (09/28/90)

thomas willett (gt4586c@prism.gatech.edu) writes:

>poster noted that he couldn't tell the difference when his amp had preheated
>for half-an-hour versus a whole day.  Has anybody else performed a similar
>experiment and would like to comment?

I run a system bi-amped with Musical Fidelity (I think they may be ``British
Fidelity in the US) A372 Class-A amps.  They get through a lot of heat!  I have
not noticed that that there is a difference in sound quality between minutes
from power-on and hours thereafter.

Steve Colwill BT Research UK

jank@ttidca.TTI.COM (Michael Jank) (10/01/90)

It would be simple to design a class A amp with a juice saving mode.
Put a switch on the front: Standby/Listen.  When in the standby position,
the amp would just keep the current flowing through the heaters of the
tubes and shut down everything else.  The amp could be left running like
this to extend tube life.

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (10/02/90)

In article <6688@uwm.edu> jank@ttidca.TTI.COM (Michael Jank) writes:

>this to extend tube life.

All audio tube amps that I'm aware of run class A until they reaach
something like half-power, then go to AB mode (one side cut off, no
currently flowing on the control grid) for the rest of the cycle.
A Dyna MKIII runs in Class A if you don't ask for more than 30watts
out of it; between 30 and 60 watts it runs in AB.

The distortion products when the amp runs into AB is worse than when it's
in A, but it's much better than the hard clipping of a 30 watt amp
driven hard.  I don't remember a class A amp being popular until the
advent of solid-state gear, where class A was used to eliminate
crossover distortion.  Since vacuum tubes don't suffer from that
problem it was never (infrequently?) used.

rogerk@uunet.uu.net (Roger Knopf 5502) (10/03/90)

In article <6688@uwm.edu> you write:

>It would be simple to design a class A amp with a juice saving mode.
>Put a switch on the front: Standby/Listen.  When in the standby position,
>the amp would just keep the current flowing through the heaters of the
>tubes and shut down everything else.  The amp could be left running like
>this to extend tube life.

The Kinergetics goes into this mode when you power off - it runs a
trickle charge to the electronics, or so I am told.

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services			    "If your controller will talk to a