[rec.audio.high-end] Record Cleaning Solution

KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV (09/25/90)

Don't use alcohol on vinyl; it will tend to leach out the plasticizers in
the vinyl over the long run.  Probably it's no more risk than using
hydrocarbon oils on condoms, but I don't want to find out.  If you want a
good record cleaning solution, go to your local photo dealer and get a
bottle of Kodak's Photo-Flo 2000, which is a wetting agent.  Six capfuls
to a gallon of water make an excellent cleaning solution.
--scott

kim@uunet.UU.NET (Kim Letkeman) (09/26/90)

In article <6585@uwm.edu>, KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV writes:
| Don't use alcohol on vinyl; it will tend to leach out the
| plasticizers in the vinyl over the long run.  Probably it's no more
| risk than using hydrocarbon oils on condoms, but I don't want to
| find out.

The cost of a few albums lost pales in comparison of the potential
cost of a failed condom ... one must assume you meant strictly the
statistical risk of damage vs failure.

I had no idea that this problem with alcohol-based cleaners existed
(and I'm new to this group, so I don't know if the subject has been
beaten to death yet.) Does this mean I should chuck out my bottles of
LAST?  (It's old, but it still works in reducing surface noise and
static.)

Kim

sgg5e@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Stephen G. Graber) (09/27/90)

In article <6585@uwm.edu> KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV writes:
>Don't use alcohol on vinyl; it will tend to leach out the plasticizers in
>the vinyl over the long run.  Probably it's no more risk than using
>hydrocarbon oils on condoms, but I don't want to find out.  If you want a
>good record cleaning solution, go to your local photo dealer and get a
>bottle of Kodak's Photo-Flo 2000, which is a wetting agent.  Six capfuls
>to a gallon of water make an excellent cleaning solution.
>--scott

Are you sure about alcohol being ruinous, or can anyone else comment?
I've used a mixture of 80% HPLC grade water (ie. very good double distilled-
deionized water) and 20% isopropanol (of similar purity) with a few drops
of Photo-Flo/gallon thrown in to improve wetability for years now.  I
haven't noticed any ill effects on any records (though they don't get washed
often, once for 20-30 plays which essentially means once for most of
them).  I'd always assumed the alcohol helped dissolve oils and organics
(mold release compound on new records?).  I'd be very interested to hear
more on this.

		Steve Graber                   work: (804) 924-9976
		UVa Dept. Pharmacology         home: (804) 973-1283
		sgg5e@dale.acc.virginia.edu

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (10/01/90)

I am confused now.  I don't have my bottle of last with me, but I could
have sworn it isn't alchohol based.  I thought it was like some
hydrocarbon solution, like trichlorotriflouromethane or something.
It is "thinner" than alchohol, evaporates more quickly, smells different...

Correct me if I'm wrong,

dylan
--
dylan mcnamee				"...I put the Mu in Mother Goose,
dylan@cs.washington.edu			 the Doc in Doctor Seuss..." Young MC

dinsdale%chtm.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Don McDaniel) (10/03/90)

In article <6684@uwm.edu> dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>I am confused now.  I don't have my bottle of last with me, but I could
>have sworn it isn't alchohol based.  I thought it was like some
>hydrocarbon solution, like trichlorotriflouromethane or something.
>It is "thinner" than alchohol, evaporates more quickly, smells different...
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong,

I don't recall what Last is, but you're right that it's not
alchohol based.  However, it's not a cleaning solution either.
It is a product intended to be used after a thorough cleaning
to somehow "harden" the vinyl thereby extending the record
life.

Don McDaniel

randy@uutopia.dell.com (Randy Price) (10/04/90)

In article <6744@uwm.edu>, dinsdale%chtm.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Don
McDaniel) writes:
> In article <6684@uwm.edu> dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:
> >
> >I am confused now.  I don't have my bottle of last with me, but I could
> >have sworn it isn't alchohol based.  I thought it was like some
> >hydrocarbon solution, like trichlorotriflouromethane or something.
> >It is "thinner" than alchohol, evaporates more quickly, smells different...
> >
> >Correct me if I'm wrong,
>
> I don't recall what Last is, but you're right that it's not
> alchohol based.  However, it's not a cleaning solution either.
> It is a product intended to be used after a thorough cleaning
> to somehow "harden" the vinyl thereby extending the record
> life.
>
> Don McDaniel

This describes Last Preservative.

There are two Last cleaner, regular and super-strength,  No contents are
given, but to my gold nose it is freon-based.  (You know so the hole in
the record matches the hole in the ozone.) |->

Randy
Randy Price                      randy@uutopia.dell.com
The opinions are my own, not my employers, cognito.

"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have
removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift
of God?"
                           Thomas Jefferson

bonwick%cathy@Sun.COM (Jeff Bonwick) (10/04/90)

In article <6684@uwm.edu> dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>I am confused now.  I don't have my bottle of last with me, but I could
>have sworn it isn't alchohol based.  I thought it was like some
>hydrocarbon solution, like trichlorotriflouromethane or something.
>It is "thinner" than alchohol, evaporates more quickly, smells different...
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong,
>
>dylan

I *hope* you're wrong, because using CFC's to clean records would be
inexcusable -- not to mention carcinogenic.

There's no such thing as trichlorotrifluoromethane, BTW, since you can't
stick 6 halogens on a carbon.  More likely would be C-Cl2-F2 (dichloro-
difluoromethane), a.k.a. Freon, or C-Cl4 (carbon tetrachloride), a.k.a.
dry cleaning fluid.  You really don't want to be breathing this stuff.

Jeff