[rec.audio.high-end] Destructive KT88

KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV (10/10/90)

That's it.  I've had enough of crappy Chinese KT88's which suddenly decide
to pull tremendous amounts of current, opening up the cathode resistor and
glowing red hot.  This has happened three times on my Citation, with three
different tubes.  Never happened at all with the old Mullard tubes.  What's
the problem here?  It's not as if the driver stages were going into
oscillation or anything catastrophic, but it happens repeatedly.
--scott

I've had this problem many times, watching smoke billow out from the base
of the tube socket. In every instance, the solder between the tube lead and
the pin was poor, or nonexistant. Resoldering the pins fixed it.

						-tjk]

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (10/11/90)

In article <6866@uwm.edu> KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV writes:
>That's it.  I've had enough of crappy Chinese KT88's which suddenly decide
>to pull tremendous amounts of current, opening up the cathode resistor and
>glowing red hot.  This has happened three times on my Citation, with three

This was fairly common ten years ago with the Dyna MKIII and British Gold
Lion KT88's.  The problem was the tube socket which was either improperly
soldered or whose contacts were no longer making good contact.  I wound up
replacing sockets in my MKIII's with milspec sockets and the problem went
away.

If a tube is gassy it can also run away in this way; I would inspect the
tubes in operation, looking for something other than normal operation.

Finally, some tube amps ran the outputs red hot; the Eico HF-89 ran 6CA7's
with the plates glowing when properly biased.  That's how they got 50 watts
output from the tube....
--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuax.cs.indiana.edu) Phn: 812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (10/12/90)

The old Dynaco actually had a rather nice blue glow at higher
levels...

As a matter of course, it is not a bad idea to touch the pins of
the tubes themselves with a good soldering iron and GOOD solder.

Dip the pin (or paint it) with liquid ROSIN flux, then hit it
with a good iron and, ideally, a tiny touch of a good
silver-bearing solder.....    plopping the pins in Tweak or
Cramolin helps, for the same reason it helps phono jacks not
gold plated....

The mil-std sockets are a great idea, although if you are
mechanically handy you can get a better contact by adjusting
the sockets with a pair of fine jeweler's needle-nose..

Idea is to ensure an absolutely tight mechanical and electronic
seal...

alp@techbook.com (Alan Peterman) (10/12/90)

In article <6866@uwm.edu> KLUDGE@AGCB1.LARC.NASA.GOV writes:
>That's it.  I've had enough of crappy Chinese KT88's which suddenly decide
>to pull tremendous amounts of current, opening up the cathode resistor and
>glowing red hot.  This has happened three times on my Citation, with three
>different tubes.  Never happened at all with the old Mullard tubes.  What's
>the problem here?  It's not as if the driver stages were going into
>oscillation or anything catastrophic, but it happens repeatedly.
>--scott

Also check the blocking capacitors to the grids of the KT-88's.  They
block the high voltage from the plate of the drivers from the negative
bias on the grid.  When they start to leak, the grid becomes less
negative increasing the current - until meltdown.  They tend to leak
more when warm, so the amp runs OK for a half an hour (or two hours)
and then starts to self destruct.  If they haven't been replaced, they
are due to fail - replace all four.  They're lots cheaper than the tubes!

--
Alan Peterman                        (503) 684-1984 (hm)