[rec.audio.high-end] push button pre-amps

barner@ee.udel.edu (Ken Barner) (10/16/90)

Well its to do some purchasing.  I just received an Adcom GFA-555 amp
for a wedding gift, it helps to have an usher who works for Adcom!
Now I'm ready to get a new pre-amp and tuner.  I'd like to keep
the total price of the two components <$1500.  I have a particular
interest in the controls of the pre-amp.  I am disabled and have
limited use of my hands.  Specifically, I can not adjust the source
knobs of many pre-amps.  Smoothly rotating knobs such as volume
controls are not a problem, only knobs which "lock" into position
cause problems.  Thus I'd like to find a pre-amp which uses push
buttons in order to select the source.  I would appreciate
recommendations from anyone familiar with push button style pre-amps.
I know Adcom makes several tuner/pre-amps which use push button
selectors and I may consider going that route if unable to find
separates.  I'll also be glad to take speaker recommendations (~$1500)
since that is next on the hit list.

Thanks to all who reply!

	Ken Barner

barner@huey.udel.edu

mdh@makita.mlb.semi.harris.com (Mark Hanson) (10/17/90)

In article <7003@uwm.edu> barner@ee.udel.edu (Ken Barner) writes:
>cause problems.  Thus I'd like to find a pre-amp which uses push
>buttons in order to select the source.  I would appreciate
>recommendations from anyone familiar with push button style pre-amps.
>
>Thanks to all who reply!
>
>	Ken Barner
>
>barner@huey.udel.edu

I just recently purchased a new Pre-Amp and Amp and had a requirement for
remote control capability. This in large part required push-button capability.
I purchased a Revox B252 Pre-Amp.
This unit lists at $1750. These are rarely discounted anywhere.
It is complete push button (volume, balance, selection).
Has a remote control.
Has adjustable input sensitivity for different components.
Has selectable capacitance for matching to phono cartridge.
Supports Moving coil phono (must purchase extra board).
The volume has double push buttons (fast and slow).

Other Pre-Amps that might be suitable and in a lower price range are:

Harmon-Kardon Citation 25 - $900. I've seen these as low as $600-$700
   Remote, push button selection, smooth turn volume, motorized volume
   for remote. Selectable phono.

Denon PRA 1500 - $500. Seen for $400-$500
   Remote, push button selection, smooth turn volume, motorized volume
   for remote. Selectable phono.

Sony TA E1000-ESD - $1000
   This unit is a Pre-Amp/Digital Signal Processing unit.
   Lot's of bells and whistles.
   Remote, push button selection, smooth turn volume, motorized volume
   for remote. Remote is very crowded. Surround sound.

Luxman also had a very nice Tuner/Pre-Amp
   I forget the model number.
   It was around $1000. Remote, Motorized smooth volume, lighted volume point,
   Push button component selection.

Good Luck
   Mark Hanson