[rec.audio.high-end] Amp Modifications/Upgrades

pcr@xait.UUCP (Perry Rothermel) (10/12/90)

I just received in the mail a catalog from a company called "Audio Advisor".
 They offer to do modificaions and upgrades to amps (i own an Adcom 545).
 The catalog states they do this by increasing the sound range and replacing
 some factory hardware with their own (capacitors, wiring, etc).
I am very interested in this. But... is this legit??? Do these modifications
 improve the sound of your amp? Is this a rip-off? Has anyone ever had this
 done to their amp? What was the result? Are there other companies that offer
 this service, but are better?
Anyone with knowledge or experience about this, I would really like to hear
 from. I would hate to send my amp to them and have it come back sounding worse
 or worse not come back at all. Please reply. Thank You!

kens@hplsla.lsid.hp.com (Ken Snyder) (10/18/90)

rec.audio.high-end / info-high-audio-request@csd4.csd.uwm.edu.HP.COM

> I just received in the mail a catalog from a company called "Audio Advisor".
>  They offer to do modificaions and upgrades to amps (i own an Adcom 545).
>  The catalog states they do this by increasing the sound range and replacing
>  some factory hardware with their own (capacitors, wiring, etc).
> I am very interested in this. But... is this legit??? Do these modifications
>  improve the sound of your amp? Is this a rip-off? Has anyone ever had this
>  done to their amp? What was the result? Are there other companies that offer
>  this service, but are better?

  I have not done business with the "Audio Advisor" but your question about
whether or not mods can help an amplifier I can shed some light on.  A few
years ago I upgraded a Hafler DH-500 with a Musical Concepts modification kit.
It consisted of upgraded components and instructions on modifying the actual
circuitry topology.  (I did the mods myself.)  I can say without hesitation
that these mods made the '500 sound much better.  (I have an unmodified '500
I'm using as a subwoofer amp so I can make comparisons.)  The circuit topology
changes lowered the forward gain of the amp, did away with a darlington pair
of transistors and lowered the feedback at the same time to keep the overall
gain constant.  This was not just a component swap mod.  Most amps, especially
reasonably priced ones, have design/cost considerations in connectors, wiring,
etc. that aftermarket dealors can improve on.

  I've seen the Audio Advisor ads also and would be interested in hearing
from anyone actually having heard their mods.  I would rather do the mods
myself because I have the necessary skills/equipment available and like
parts, time is a cost, and I can supply lots of that.

  _____________________________ K _ E _ N __________________________________
 |                                                                          |
 | Ken Snyder                ms/loc:  270 / UN5                             |
 | LSID                      div   :  Lake Stevens Instrument Division      |
 | Hewlett-Packard Co.       gte/tn:  (206) 335-2253 / 335-2253             |
 | 8600 Soper Hill Road      HPDESK:  Ken_Snyder@hpa100/ux                  |
 | Everett, WA  98205-1298   un-ix :  kens@hplsla.HP.COM                    |
 |__________________________________________________________________________|

peter@apple.com (Peter Tapscott ) (10/22/90)

Does anyone have a source for large, high
voltage electrolytic capacitors that could
be used for a power supply for an amplifier
of about 200 watts?

Digi-Key has pc-mount caps, but the largest
are:
	10,000 uf @ 63 V (Not bad)
	 4700  uf @ 100V TSU
	 3300  uf @ 100V TSNH

All 36mm X 51mm (1.4" X 2") Diameter X Height

What are peoples opinions on using a 100V
cap for a 90V DC voltage?  The next step up
in voltage is 200V.  Is it necessary
to use TSNH instead of TSU?

Large capacitors mounted to the chassis really
seem preferable. (I have never seen a high-end
amp that used PC mount caps.)
| Peter Tapscott         {ames|apple|leadsv|pyramid|sun}!versatc!peter |
| Versatec, 2805 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, Calif       (408)982-4235 |

wkb@cbsck.att.com (William Keith Brummett) (10/24/90)

    In article <7133@uwm.edu>, versatc!peter@apple.com (Peter Tapscott )
    writes:
    > Does anyone have a source for large, high
    > voltage electrolytic capacitors that could
    > be used for a power supply for an amplifier
    > of about 200 watts?
    > 	10,000 uf @ 63 V (Not bad)

    Well, until a few months ago, *I* was a potential source.  I had a bunch
    of surplus Sprague Powerlytic computer-grade caps (bright blue cover).
    They were chasis-mount, and the largest were about the size of a Sapporo
    beer can (~2.5" x ~8").  They were in two's and four's, and ranged up to
    60,000uf @ 75VDC, as I recall.  I sold them at the Dayton Hamvention for
    about 2 bucks apiece.  I saw other similar caps there for similar prices.
    I suggest you check out the next nearby electronics flea market or
    computer fest.

    > What are peoples opinions on using a 100V
    > cap for a 90V DC voltage?  The next step up
    > in voltage is 200V.

    Someone once told me that you could push the Spragues a bit above their
    rating, but to be real careful about japanese caps -- they just barely
    make their specs.  Be conservative.  I once connected a small cap to a
    circuit backwards.  Have you ever had a 12-gauge shotgun shell go off in
    you face?  Trivial in comparison.  I was picking bits of paper out of my
    hair for hours.  Good thing I wear hardened glasses.

    > Is it necessary to use TSNH instead of TSU?

    Dunno.  -- Keith

--
    | W. Keith Brummett          (614) 860-3187          AT&T, Room 3B-202 |
    | att!cblph!wkb                                    6200 East Broad St. |