[rec.audio.high-end] Tape etc.

Steve_Graham@ub.cc.umich.edu (10/22/90)

RE: reel cutouts affecting tape pack: This happens in fast-winding modes
(and will someone please explain to me *how* the Germans get away with
flange-less operation???) because of static attraction.  My experience ran
counter to my untested expectations in this regard.  Metal reels tend to
produce more of a scattered wind than plastic, and reels with large cutout
areas tend to produce less-scattered wind than more solid types.
I don't know as anyone has researched this particular aspect of the thing,
but those are my empirical observations, not that this is critical. One
hopes that anyone who intends to store a tape will play it through first
to produce an even pack.  Reels don't seem to affect the pack at normal
playing speeds unless they are warped or bent.

RE: Long term storage,: in spite of the problems we have been discussing here,
reel analog tape is still generally regarded as the correct medium to use.
Cassettes are obviously hopeless, digital tapes are unproven for long-term use
and no one knows how long any of the current formats will stay around.
Some users have reported problems with RDAT tapes' durability as well as
machine to machine compatibility.  Others say there's no problem; but the
jury is still out.  CDs might turn out to be best, but it's a bit early
for archiving to CD.  ("Best", that is, assuming you have no problem with
the sound of CDs or other digital media.)  It is generally agreed that vinyl
records are a pretty safe bet, within their limitations, if they are properly
stored and cared for.  But it is not practical to have LPs pressed purely for
archiving, in most cases.  (Records can get scratched, of course, but wear
isn't that much of a problem given sane cutting levels and good playback
equipment.  They do need to be rotated in storage to prevent the plastic from
"flowing" and going out of round.  I think the major libraries rotate the
disks one quarter turn every three months, but I'm not sure about that schedule)

RE: (New subject) 3M-150:  I had the occasion to record on a piece of this
tape today.  The stuff hasn't been made for years, and this reel was probably
20 years old.  I did a rough tweak for bias and record EQ, and noted a higher
level of distortion than I am used to, but I was really quite amazed at how
decent it sounded.  Subjective noise was not noticeably higher than with
Ampex 406, and the overall sound was quite smooth (and not because of
hf rolloff, in case you were wondering.)  A few dropouts in spots were the
only really noticeable sign of this tape's age.  (And this stuff doesn't get
all gummy.  Progress???)

RE: CD emphasis: The emphasis light means the CD was recorded with
pre-emphasis.  All CD players will automatically switch their de-emphasis
circuits (simple eq) on or off according to how the CD was recorded, so the
frequency response will always be correct either way.

sg2@ub.cc.umich.edu
or USERHEFX@UMICHUB.BITNET

rich%island@uunet.UU.NET (Rich Fanning) (10/24/90)

In article <7134@uwm.edu> Steve_Graham@ub.cc.umich.edu writes:
>RE: (New subject) 3M-150:  I had the occasion to record on a piece of this
>tape today.  The stuff hasn't been made for years, and this reel was probably
>20 years old.
>A few dropouts in spots were the
>only really noticeable sign of this tape's age.  (And this stuff doesn't get
>all gummy.  Progress???)

I had much the same experience with several reels of Scotch 150, 206 and 207.
These tapes were from 1970-1972, and I had no trouble with squeal, gumminess,
or oxide shedding.  And they had hardly been cared for ideally: most of the
time was spent in my parents' humid basement.  There was even a bit of
mildew on some of the cardboard boxes, but my transfers to cassette tape
went quite well.

Several reels of cheap Radio Shack Concertape also survived.  It doesn't sound
very good, but it's probably as good as it ever was. :-)

I also have some acetate tapes which were recorded in 1962-64, and these
are still playable too.  One brand, that is.  The other brand shrank
and curled up so much as to be unplayable.

--

	 Rich Fanning         {sun,ucbcad,uunet}island!rich