[rec.audio.high-end] Screeching tapes and packing

cc_s425@ux.kingston.ac.uk (Syngen Brown) (11/01/90)

> From: billn@hpcvaac.cv.hp.com (bill nelson)
>
> You can get silicon impregnated cloths at any hardware store that sells
> firearms.  The cloths work - but you might want to remove some of the
> silicon first, the new cloths have too much in them.  Otherwise, they
> seem to work fine on my tapes when needed.  I have not noticed any
> buildup on the head or in the gap.

Well I never visit firearms dealers :-) but I have always avoided
using silicone based cleaners and lubricants on electronic equipment.
These compounds are highly motile and contain insulating crystals
which significantly degrade any contacts that they may ingress.  Note
that the amount required to cause problems is much less than that
which would be detectable through buildup.

> From: Steve_Graham@ub.cc.umich.edu
>
> RE: reel cutouts affecting tape pack: This happens in fast-winding modes
> (and will someone please explain to me *how* the Germans get away with
> flange-less operation???) because of static attraction.  My experience ran
> counter to my untested expectations in this regard.  Metal reels tend to
> produce more of a scattered wind than plastic, and reels with large cutout
> areas tend to produce less-scattered wind than more solid types.

I've noticed differences between stock on regularity of pack -- Ampex
407 seems to pack more regularly than Ampex 456 (the latter is on
thicker base) and Agfa stock tends to be generally better in this
respect.

I prefer reels with more open flanges for machine spools, as it makes
the threading/attachment operation much easier in any case.  Also,
defective NAB hubs which no longer clamp the reels securely seem to be
a common source of problems.

To ensure good packing regularity in storage, the best solution is to
use tape tails-out, ie.  so that the m/c spool is mounted on the LHS
of the transport and tape is fully wound onto that spool before
recording or playback.  When a tape so used is stored, it has been
spooled on to the storage reel at normal operating speed rather than
fast wind speed.  This is common practice in professional usage.  It
has the further advantage of ensuring that any print-through results in
post echo rather than pre echo; this tends to be less intrusive with
most recorded material.  The effect of print-through is also reduced
by even packing.  If you're not already doing this (and I expect that
many of you already are) you only have yourself to blame!

-Syngen

Vox: +44 81 549 1366 x2066       Because our poor boy believes in chance
Internet: syngen@ux.king.ac.uk	       He'll never get the modern dance!