[rec.audio.high-end] Portable DATs

chris@cs.uoregon.edu (chris hecht) (11/09/90)

In article <7510@uwm.edu>{ranma@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez)
writes:

>I see you decided on DAT for your polyester needs ... uhh, that's not clothes
>by the way ...
>
>.. at lest when it first came out.  Portable DAT's (either handheld or auto)
>are not readily available, but car decks are (ie: Nak 555).  Too bad there
>isn't any good portable/handheld units...

Have you ever heard the Panasonic SV-255 or 250?  They both sound really great.
They are "professional" equipement, but the SV-255 can be had for around $2000
these days.  The 255 replaced the 250 a year ago.  They sound much better then
Sony DATs, which I dislike.

The SV-255 has a very open, warm sound.  Sweet sounding, with great bass
extension.  Can handle the low end of Shoeps omnis, my reference mics.  This
unit is significantly more reliable than every other machine sold.

-Chris Hecht
chris@cs.uoregon.edu