[rec.audio.high-end] A Weakness in the System?

hudson@falcon.nrl.navy.mil (Dan Hudson) (11/07/90)

Is there a weakness in the system?

Please excuse any slight inaccuracies; I'm going for concept,
not specifics...

Since we read rec.audio.high-end, I assume it is more than
a passing interest among us to create the most <musical>
experience possible within our homes.  Along these lines, we have
gone to great lengths to assemble an audio system to perform this
function.

Part of the fun of high-end audio is planning the "ideal" system.
I know I pour over back issues of Stereophile and Absolute Sound,
weighing the pros and cons of Divas vs 801s and Audio Research
vs Krell.  But unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of choosing
between such thoroughbred pieces of equipment.  For those of us with a
limited budget (me!), deciding which components to purchase is
an agonizing decision.  "How much should I spend on speakers?"
"Electrostatic or Dynamic?"  "Solid-State, Tube or Hybrid?"  It's
enough to drive a guy crazy!  It is here that services like this
newsgroup and the high-end publications provide an invaluable service.
It gives us the opportunity to help one another assemble a system that
will best satisfy our individual tastes while providing the most
"bang for the buck".

But of late, I perceive a possible weakness in the system.  Unfortunately,
I think we've created a barrier that prevents us from considering
many components that might offer a good "bang for the buck" ratio.  I find
it both refreshing and disturbing that some of the "cheaper" components
reviewed in Stereophile recently (the new ADCOM pre-amp and the ROTEL CD
player come to mind) offer Class-B performance at a cost well under $1000!
When I see components in this price range offering performance
comparable with the "big boys", I start to wonder what else I might
be missing, simply because we fail to consider it.  As an example,
consider this...

	Might it be possible that in, say, the $500 to $750 range,
	a company considered "mid-fi" in most cases by the average
	audiophile, such as Onkyo, <might> offer a product comparable,
	or even superior, to a "vanilla" high-end component like the
	highly thought of Creek integrated amp?

If smaller companies, like ADCOM and ROTEL, can produce components which
impress the critical ears of our valued Stereophile editors way beyond what
their price tags would otherwise indicate, is it so unlikely that a major
"mid-fi" company might not produce a superior product, even occasionally?

I think we all really need to step back, take a few moments, and check
out some equipment that we otherwise would write-off.  Perish the thought,
but this might even require a visit to Circuit City...

Any comments?

Dan Hudson
hudson@falcon.nrl.navy.mil

marcelg@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Marcel Goudeseune) (11/07/90)

As one example of a company that makes incredibly good components that
won't cost you your house, may I suggest NAD?

They've been around for a little over 10 years, and produce some of the
best hifi components I've seen around.  One example, the integrated amp
I just bought:

	NAD 3100 integrated amp
	50 WPC @ 0.03% THD
	6 dB dynamic headroom ( = 200 WPC )
	bridgeable to mono, 100 WPC, 500 W with headroom.

I forget the specs on the preamp part of it (there's lots), but you get
the idea.  Plus, I picked it up for only $600 CDN.  I'm happy.

One more tidbit about NAD:  In '87 or so, their 3020 integrated amp
became the most popular amp in history:  600 000 units sold, and it's
still in production.  Well, that's my advertising blurb for today.

--
 Marcel Goudeseune           | I don't ever want to play the part
 marcelg@watcsc.uwaterloo.ca | Of a statistic on a goverment chart. -The Police

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (11/09/90)

I have to put in my two cents' worth now. It scares me to see the names
Adcom and Rotel in the same sentence. It's kind of like Mercedes and Ford.

As for the NAD integrated amp, if you like a deep, tight bass, the NAD
won't do it. I've compared all the NADs vs. all the Adcoms vs all the
Denons vs all the Yamahas vs all the Nakamichis (amps, that is). All these
companies make "mid-fi" equipment.

The NAD was tied with the Yamaha for last place in bass control. I did find
that their higher-end models were smoother on the top than the Adcom, but
it was minor comparted the Adcom's superior bass control and imaging.

So you know, I sell these things for a living. Most of my listening tests
are conducted through various Acoustat electrostatic loudspeakers, using
either a Yamaha CDX-1130 w/Meridian 203 DAC or an Oracle Delphi Mk III w/
MC Alpha II cartridge. I use a Conrad-Johnson PV-11 tube preamp, Monster
Cable M-1 speaker cable, and M-1000 interconnects throughout the system.

Also, if you can afford the extra money, it's worth it to stay with an
American amplifier and preamplifier. There is no comparison.

(yes, I know that NAD and Adcom, though American companies, are built in
Asia)

'tis all for now...
MikeC

biswa%galileo.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Biswa Ranjan Ghosh) (11/13/90)

In article <7537@uwm.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
>I have to put in my two cents' worth now. It scares me to see the names
>Adcom and Rotel in the same sentence. It's kind of like Mercedes and Ford.

I would be interested in why. To me, it's more like comparing a Dodge
Colt and a Mitsubishi Mirage. Consider that Adcom is designed in teh
U.S. and assembled in Taiwan. Rotel is designed in the U.K., and
assembled in Taiwan. Parts quality is about the same on their lower
models (i.e., Adcom has better parts in their 565 preamp, but the
other models use the same kinds of parts as the Rotels).

The Rotel preamps and amps are very solidly built with good parts
quality, and to my ears, good neutral sound. Ditto for the Adcom.

The Rotel preamp/tuner, on the other hand, seemed really chintzy.

One consumer's opinion...
-Biswa Ghosh