[rec.audio.high-end] The TOP of the line stereo system

v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) (10/15/90)

I am quite familiar with whats hot and whats not in the Audio world,
however, as of late I have found myself at a lack of information.

For reasons that would not be appropriate to mention here, I must purchase
an audio system.  Not just any audio system, but the BEST today's technology
can offer.  I realize the gross price tag associated with such equipment,
but remain confidant that I can afford it.  I am interested in any and all
audio components available for the home.

If anyone is aware of this information, please contact me via E-MAIL at
V064LNEV@UBVMS.BITNET

thanx very much.

hayden@Sun.COM (Mike Hayden) (10/16/90)

v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) writes:

>For reasons that would not be appropriate to mention here, I must purchase
>an audio system.  Not just any audio system, but the BEST today's technology
>can offer.  I realize the gross price tag associated with such equipment,
>but remain confidant that I can afford it.  I am interested in any and all
>audio components available for the home.

A difficult and subjective question to answer, but I do have a suggestion.
Listen to Spectral electronics.  To my ears, their CD player, preamplifiers
and power amplifiers are unparalleled.  They are also a relatively good
investment, since Spectral offers upgrades to existing customers when the
equipment is improved over time.

I've recently had my CD player upgraded to the latest level...the improvement
is significant enough that some might consider buying a whole new player to
get that improvement.

I've put my money where my mouth is and own the Spectral reference CD player
and the DM-10 preamplifier (the DM-20 wasn't out then).  I would have bought
the DMA200 power amplifier, but it dissipates 800W of heat at idle and thus
won't work inside a cabinet.  I instead bought the Mark Levinson ML-23, an
excellent amp but still a second choice in head-to-head listening tests.

Oh yes...their moving coil reference cartridge is also superb.

Mike Hayden
sono!hayden

v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) (11/05/90)

Hello again,

	Remember me? You can read the previous article with this name if you
don't.  In any case, I've done some research, and have chosen the following
components so far:

	Day Sequerra Broadcast Monitor Tuner
	Goldmund Reference Turntable
	Airtangent Tonearm
	Koetsu A60 Cartridge
	Nakamichi 1000 DAT
	Krell MD-1 CD Turntable
	Stax X1t Digital Converter
	Carver Silver Seven Tube Amps
	Wilson Audio WAMM Speakers

	Obviously, more components are needed.  Any suggestions as to what
you think those components should be (and why - possibly?) would be very
welcome.  I may be contacted at "V064LNEV@UBVMS.bitnet" or
				"V064LNEV@UBVMSD.cc.buffalo.edu".

				Thanks.

chowkwan@priam.usc.edu (Raymond Chowkwanyun) (11/07/90)

In article <7434@uwm.edu> v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) writes:

>Hello again,
>
>	Remember me? You can read the previous article with this name if you
>don't.  In any case, I've done some research, and have chosen the following
>components so far:
>
>	Day Sequerra Broadcast Monitor Tuner
>	Goldmund Reference Turntable
>	Airtangent Tonearm
>	Koetsu A60 Cartridge
>	Nakamichi 1000 DAT
>	Krell MD-1 CD Turntable
>	Stax X1t Digital Converter
>	Carver Silver Seven Tube Amps
>	Wilson Audio WAMM Speakers
>
>	Obviously, more components are needed.  Any suggestions as to what
>you think those components should be (and why - possibly?) would be very
>welcome.  I may be contacted at "V064LNEV@UBVMS.bitnet" or
>				"V064LNEV@UBVMSD.cc.buffalo.edu".
>
>				Thanks.

1. Pre-amp.  I would suggest checking out the Manley Reference
and the MFA Luminesence.

2. Wires.  Never underestimate the effect of wires.  Top contenders
would be Audioquest, Tara Labs, and Cardas.  Everyone has their
favorites.  These are mine.

3. Room treatment.  Your room is the *most* important component
of your system - like it or not.  Investigate use of Sonex,
RPG diffusers, Tube traps, room tunes, and the like.

4. Line conditioners.  If you live in an area with fluctuating
voltage a line conditioner can be a boon, especially for CD.
Tice is the leader here.

5. Record cleaner.  Investigate the Nitty Gritty with Torumat
fluid.  VPI makes a nice cleaner too.  I suppose the Keith
Monks machine needs to be mentioned also.

I hope you've checked out the VTL Ichiban and 500 before
you spring for the Carver.  A combination of the Ichibans
on the mid/high and the 500 on the bass would give
the Carvers a run for their money.  In addition
VTL uses far less expensive tube types: 6550 and EL-34.
$20 to $30 each compared with $100 for the KT88 used
in the Carver.  VTL also runs cool for long tube life.

Then for the true triode maniac there is the VTL 300B.

-- ray

alan@syacus.acus.oz (Alan Stewart) (11/07/90)

v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) writes:

>Hello again,

>	Remember me? You can read the previous article with this name if you
>don't.  In any case, I've done some research, and have chosen the following
>components so far:

>	Day Sequerra Broadcast Monitor Tuner
>	Goldmund Reference Turntable

>	Obviously, more components are needed.  Any suggestions as to what
>you think those components should be (and why - possibly?) would be very
>welcome.  I may be contacted at "V064LNEV@UBVMS.bitnet" or

The Linn LP12 is far more musically accurate than the Goldmund Reference.
I haven't heard the tuner you listed, but it would have to be good to beat
the Naim NAT01 tuner.

Alan

ranma@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (11/08/90)

v064lnev@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Zerxes Bhagalia) writes:

> 	Remember me? You can read the previous article with this name if you
> don't.  In any case, I've done some research, and have chosen the following
> components so far:

> 	Day Sequerra Broadcast Monitor Tuner

Have you *actually* been able to find one.  What price???  Somebody said
they got quoted $5,000 once, but this was back in '83!!!

> 	Nakamichi 1000 DAT

I see you decided on DAT for your polyester needs ... uhh, that's not clothes
by the way ...

Have you given thought to any cassette decks???  I've always thought the
best deck made was the old Nak 682-ZX.  This deck was actually reasonable,
at lest when it first came out.  Portable DAT's (either handheld or auto)
are not readily available, but car decks are (ie: Nak 555).  Too bad there
isn't any good portable/handheld units...

I know some people think Nak Dragons are "gods", but a 682-ZX really did
do justice to my Nak tapes.  Wish I still had it... (it "disappeared" one
day).

   robert.

bill@vrdxhq.verdix.com (William Spencer) (11/13/90)

in article <7490@uwm.edu>, alan@syacus.acus.oz (Alan Stewart) says:

> The Linn LP12 is far more musically accurate than the Goldmund Reference.

Come on peaple, someone's GOT to have something to say on this subject!

Someone want to inform us why the Goldmund is so controversial?

bill S.

simond@uunet.UU.NET (Simon David) (11/15/90)

In article <7614@uwm.edu> bill@vrdxhq.verdix.com (William Spencer) writes:

>in article <7490@uwm.edu>, alan@syacus.acus.oz (Alan Stewart) says:
>
>> The Linn LP12 is far more musically accurate than the Goldmund Reference.

>Come on peaple, someone's GOT to have something to say on this subject!

Can Alan tell us why he thinks the Linn is more accurate? It is to my
ears slightly coloured giving it the clasic analogue sound. Pitch and
rhythm are its strong points, not accuracy. If you want accuracy try
the Roksan Xerxes (my choice) or the Thownsend Rock Reference.

>Someone want to inform us why the Goldmund is so controversial?

The Goldmund Reference is a beast of a turntable that has its own
stand and linear tracking arm. It is direct drive and includes whizzo
goodies such as rev counter and a log of hours cartridge use. Over
here it retails at something over 20,000 pounds! It is also now a
limited edition of just 200 examples.

A better bet may be the Goldmund Studio with simplified linear arm. It
is certainly better value for money but is clear and refined in a way
that makes it almost sterile sounding.

Simon

simond@informix.com