[rec.audio.high-end] Suggestions for a Novice?

MLESSIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Matt Lessins) (11/14/90)

Hi.  I'm a novice audiophile, about to purchase a semi high end system.
It doesn't look like I've got the cash to go with tube technolgy.
I've got approx $4k to spend and this a preliminary rought draft
of what I'm thinking about:

Carver TFM-25 Amp
Carver CT-17  Preamp/tuner
KEF 104.2     Speakers
Denon DCD-2560 CD player

What I'd like is some opinions on the components and some
alternatives...I know quite a bit has got to do with personal
preference but I'd value some  expert  preferences.

It's not that I'm looking to save money, I'm trying to get the
most of what I've allotted to spend.....

Thanks much.....

mlessin@cms.cc.wayne.edu

donald@mps.ohio-state.edu (Donald Maffly) (11/15/90)

I was in a similar situation to you about a year ago.  I'd suggest that
before you go out and blow the 4K, do some reading up, and alot
of auditioning.  If you can find the components you want on the
used market you can probably get away with spending less than
2K.

On a 4K budget, I'd go with B&K or Adcom separates (i.e amp
and pre-amp).  You could expect to spend just 1K in that department, and have
3K left over.  I like the Denon CD players, although I've never
heard of the 2560.  Don't you mean the 1560?  It's very detailed compared
to the others I've heard.  They do, however, have a cold analytical typically
Japanese sound.  The Sony ES series players supposedly sound
a bit warmer, and they are just as detailed.  The new Sony ES (is it
the 55??) is a one-bit player (the latest DA technolog) but I don't
think it has a digital out (which is important if you want to upgrade
later with an outboard DA converter).  The Harman Kardon one-bit players
are good, too.  They are detailed, AND warm.  A true budget audiophile player
player would be the new Mod Squad, or the Adcom.
So say another 750-1000  on a CD player.

This leaves you with about 2K on speakers.
There are such big differences in the sound of Speakers that
you should really go out there and spend a few weeks, if not months
auditioning different models.  Don't just go on hearsay.
KEF has a good reputation as  a speaker maker, but I believe they
are a British make -- meaning that you will be paying more for them
than you would at for an American make at the same quality level.

American makes that I'd suggest you listen to are:

Vandersteens 2ci -- at $1100 dollars is known for making good deep bass.
Theil 1, -- $1200  -- very articulate in the highs
Spica Angelus -- $1300 great imaging, but not alot of deep bass

The Audio Anarchist column in Stereophile did a comarison of these
three models within the last year.

Also the
Theil 2.5 -- $2400 -- proabably like the Theil 1 but with more bass.

So we are talking 3K, which gives you 1K left over to buy some
good source material, or for a turntable or various tweaking items.

-- Donald Maffly

perkins@uunet.UU.NET (Bill Perkins) (11/16/90)

In article <7665@uwm.edu> uwm!decwrl!cae780!donald@mps.ohio-state.edu (Donald Maffly) writes:

 [stuff deleted]

>This leaves you with about 2K on speakers.
>
>American makes that I'd suggest you listen to are:
>
>Vandersteens 2ci -- at $1100 dollars is known for making good deep bass.
>Theil 1, -- $1200  -- very articulate in the highs
       ^^ Thiel 1.2

>Spica Angelus -- $1300 great imaging, but not alot of deep bass
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
				      all definitely true

>The Audio Anarchist column in Stereophile did a comarison of these
>three models within the last year.
>
>Also the
>Theil 2.5 -- $2400 -- proabably like the Theil 1 but with more bass.
 Thiel CS 3.5, not 2.5.  Not like the 1.2 at all, except more bass.

 I bought Thiel CS 2's; $1600.  I have a whole review of my speaker-hunting
 experience posted a couple of days ago in Rec.audio.  You can go find it
 over there, or I'll mail it to you if you want.  I think you'd like it ;-).

>-- Donald Maffly

 Bill

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Bill Perkins                         | "The sheriff didn't mean anything."

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (11/16/90)

In article <7633@uwm.edu> MLESSIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Matt Lessins) writes:

 >Hi.  I'm a novice audiophile, about to purchase a semi high end system.
 >It doesn't look like I've got the cash to go with tube technolgy.
 >I've got approx $4k to spend and this a preliminary rought draft
 >of what I'm thinking about:
 >
 >Carver TFM-25 Amp
 >Carver CT-17  Preamp/tuner

As one who sometimes, after a few drinks, actually admits to having once owned
Carver equipment, I'd say a much better route would be:

Adcom GFA-555 Amp
Adcom GTP-400 Preamp/Tuner

 >Denon DCD-2560 CD player

Very nice player; I'll get around to writing the review one of these days...

--
===================>> Quote: "It's Night 9 With D2 Dave!" <<===================
| Internet:   kucharsk@Solbourne.COM	      |	William Kucharski             |

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (11/19/90)

I think you can do much better than Carver equipment. The Kefs have a great
deal of midrange, and can be a little fat in the bass. What you need, then
is an amplifier with the kind of bass control that the Carver's aren't
really capable of. Conrad-Johnson has an entry-level solid state division
called Sonographe. The amp and preamp sound much cleaner than most in their
price range ($1000 amp; $700 preamp). The amp offers tremendous bass control,
and a very open-sounding top end. The preamp helps there, too.

Also, the Kefs are plenty efficient. The Sonographe's 120wpc would be
perfect. In our store, that's what we run our 104s with. However, my
Denon 2560 is on the Kef 105s with the Adcom GFA-565s. I use a 1560 with
the 104s.

sorry if I babble.

MikeC