[rec.audio.high-end] Mercury

Steve_Graham@ub.cc.umich.edu (11/08/90)

Wing releases tend to be phoney stereo (if not mono, that is).
Some later pressings (which look like they came from the Columbia
pressing plants to me) with stamped numbers were remastered by other cutting
people and usually suffered.  Sounds like some channel blending was done in
some instances.
That's all I know.  Be wary of stamped matrix numbers.

hqyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (11/12/90)

Hi,
        the phoney stereo Mercury X-Wings are designated as such
on the cover.  there are a number of decent (not great, mind you)
recordings re-released on the Wing label.  i even feel that the
Percy Grainger Country Gardens on the wing outdoes the mercury
version.
        BTW, what is the general consensus on recordings made by
Marc Aubort for the Nonesuch label (i have George Crumb's Macrocosmos
Vol 1 and 3 and think it is great).
        Any clues on what the next set of Mercury re-releases may be?

satish nair

jdhill@BBN.COM (Jack D. Hill) (11/13/90)

In article <7582@uwm.edu> hqyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>  there are a number of decent (not great, mind you)
>recordings re-released on the Wing label.  i even feel that the
>Percy Grainger Country Gardens on the wing outdoes the mercury
>version.
I've heard the Wing version but didn't buy becuase I didn't care enough for the
music to shell out the $40 asking price. The most I've seen Wings go for is
$15. The only reason this one was going for $40 was becuase it was on Harry
Pearsons Super Disk list. Everyone I've talked to says the original SR 90219 is
superior in every respect. The same goes for the Ravel "La Valse" SR 90313
which Harry lists as the Golden Imports re-issue. I think he's just too cheap
to buy the real thing so he lists what he happens to have in his collection.

Jack

>        Any clues on what the next set of Mercury re-releases may be?

Cello Concertos by Schumann, Lalo & Saint-Saens
Janos Starker
London Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati
	 (SR 90347/SR 90409)

Schumann: Piano Concerto in A Minor
Byron Janis
Minneapolis Symphony, Stanislaw Skrowaczewski
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto #1
Byron Janis
London Symphony Orchestra, Herbert Menges
	 (SR 90266/SR 90383)

Stravinsky Fireworks: Firebird (Complete);
Song of the Nightingale
London Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati
	 (SR 90226/SR 90387)

Music of Leroy Anderson
Eastman-Rochester "Pops", Frederick Fennell
	 (SR 90009/SR 90043/SR 90400)

French Opera Highlights
Detroit Symphony, Paul Paray
	 (SR 90318)

Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsodies
Enesco: Roumanian Rhapsody #1
London Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati
	 (SR 90235/SR 90371)

Barber: Medea Suite; Gould's Spirituals and
Fall River Legend
Eastman-Rochester Orchestra, Howard Hanson
	 (SR 90224/SR 90263)

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra
London Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati
Bartok: Dance Suite; Two Portraits for Orchestra
Philharmonia Hungarica, Antal Dorati
	 (SR 90183/SR 90378)

Beethoven: Piano Concerto #4
Gina Bachauer
London Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati
Beethoven: Piano Concerto #5
Gina Bachauer
London Symphony Orchestra, Stanislaw Skrowaczewski
	 (SR 90381/SR 90321)

Screamers! (Circus Marches), and March Time
Eastman Wind Ensemble, Frederick Fennell
	 (SR 90314/SR 90170)

(courtesy of Dave Lampson)

tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (michael tarr) (11/27/90)

Could someone clarify a few things about he Mercury rereleases?

1. Are these on CD? If so where can they be mail ordered from?

2. Does anyone know if they plan to release Byron Janis's performance of
Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto?

Thanks,

Mike Tarr
tarr@cs.yale.edu
--
 * Mike Tarr                                    The Human Neuron Project  *
 * tarr@cs.yale.edu                             Department of Psychology  *