[rec.audio.high-end] building a *system*

rshapiro@uunet.UU.NET (Richard Shapiro) (11/27/90)

In article <7766@uwm.edu> hunter@work.nlm.nih.gov (Larry Hunter) writes:

>I'm ready to spend up to about $3k on a new set of speakers.
>Background: I have a tremendously varied music collection (thousands
>of LPs and many hundred CDs) mostly rock, jazz, R&B.
>The front end: NAD 1300 pre, NAD 2600A amp (150WPC, low impedence
>loads are ok), Denon TT w/Denon 301 cart, modified Magnavox CDB470 cd
>player (Jung mods).

Might I suggest an alternative? With thousands of LPs, surely it would
make more sense to spend at least some of your money instead on a
serious turntable and a better phono-preamp. The best speakers in the
world can't compensate for an under-achieving front-end.

I would also say, somewhat tentatively, that $3K speakers are overkill
for a system like this. I would look instead at some of the excellent
$1200-$1500 speakers on the market (Thiel, Spica, etc).

My suggestion: spend $1200 for, say, a pair of Thiels; $1800 for a
SOTA Sapphire + MMT arm (Denon makes nice cartridges, so keep the one
you have); and keep your eye out for an inexpensive used preamp with a
good phono section (a PS Audio, maybe).  This will result in a better
overall system (and one that's surprisingly close to my own...) than
you would get by tacking $3K speakers onto what you have now.

IMHO, of course.