[rec.audio.high-end] calrec ambisonic microphone

lrb@rrivax.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) (11/19/90)

I am currently listening to _girl_talk_ by the Holly Cole Trio (Alert Music
Z2-81016, [DDD]).

the notes state the entire disk was recorded with a single calrec ambisonic
microphone, and i am ipressed by the imaging that is acheived on the disk,
is seems to be a near match to the film clips that i saw of the recording
session.

Anyone know anything about this mic?

Lance R. Bailey, Systems Manager
================================   box: Robarts Research Institute
email: lrb@rri.uwo.ca                   Clinical Trials Resources Group
  fax: 519.663.3789                     P.O. Box 5015, 100 Perth Dr.
  vox: 519.663.3787 ext. 4108           London, Canada N6A 5K8

chrisc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Chris Christensen) (11/27/90)

In article <7731@uwm.edu> lrb@rrivax.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) writes:

>I am currently listening to _girl_talk_ by the Holly Cole Trio (Alert Music
>Z2-81016, [DDD]).
>
>the notes state the entire disk was recorded with a single calrec ambisonic
>microphone, and i am ipressed by the imaging that is acheived on the disk,
>is seems to be a near match to the film clips that i saw of the recording
>session.
>
>Anyone know anything about this mic?
>
>Lance R. Bailey, Systems Manager

The Ambisonic Microphone uses 4 large size (like a U47 or U87) capsules that
pick up sound from roughly 360 degrees.  Tha capsules are not oriented front-
back-left-right.  It is a quadrant oriented array with the quadrant skewed so
that no capsule faces directly forward, etc.

The microphone is normally positioned within the ensamble.  This highlights
the 360 degree pick-up pattern.  By the way the 360 degree pattern is best
heard on headphones but can also be enjoyed on good speakers in a proper
listening enviornment.

It should be noted that some producers don't like the microphone used in
close proximity to the players, it allows for "voices" to be singled out.
This can be avoided if the mic is raised high above the ensamble.

The other way to use the mic is to place it in the conventional location,
infront of the ensamble and somewhat high.  The mic then records the
ensamble and the room ambience.

Chris Christensen