[rec.audio.high-end] BAS Back Issues

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (11/21/90)

I was a Boston Audio Society member for a number of years, but haven't
been one for the past few years. I remember that they sold sets of back
issues of the "Speaker", and that now and then they would reduce the price
of some years' sets in order to clear out the stock. Is anyone out there a
current member? If so, would you please post what volumes of back
issues are available now, and at what prices? Thanks much!

Regards, Will
wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

PS: Better include the address, too. If it's changed in recent years,
the one I have may be no good, and probably other people on the net
may want to order and would need the address anyway. WM

drm2@mvuxn.att.com (David R Moran) (11/27/90)

In article <7798@uwm.edu>, wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) writes:
> I was a Boston Audio Society member for a number of years, but haven't
> been one for the past few years. I remember that they sold sets of back
> issues of the "Speaker", and that now and then they would reduce the price
> of some years' sets in order to clear out the stock. Is anyone out there a
> current member? If so, would you please post what volumes of back
> issues are available now, and at what prices? Thanks much!
>
> Regards, Will
> wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil
>
> PS: Better include the address, too. If it's changed in recent years,
> the one I have may be no good, and probably other people on the net
> may want to order and would need the address anyway. WM

The Boston Audio Society is going strong in its 18th year. Address is
PO 211, Boston, Mass. 02126 USA. Membership is $22 and well worth it.
Membership gets you one volume of the BAS Speaker, a very informative,
rather substantial newsletter which appears regularly (sometimes a
little late and irregularly, but worth it nonetheless). The BASS
includes among other subjects a full writeup of the monthly meetings,
which usually feature a guest speaker giving a lecture or demonstration
or both, usually someone interesting or prominent or just starting out
out commercially in the industry. There are also hearing demonstrations,
tutorials, test clinics, debates, etc.

BAS members and former BASS editors have gone on to become the technical
editors or senior editors at virtually all of the mainstream and
some of the underground magazines -- Michael Riggs, new editor at
Stereo Review; E Brad Meyer, regular audio freelancer and recordist;
Peter Mitchell, freelancer and Stereophile contributor; myself, speaker
reviewer for CD Review; David Ranada, freelancer; and on and on.
Many of us still regularly write for the BASS.

The current volume is 18, and we are three issues into it. A dollar or
two will get you a sample issue to peruse and a listing of back
*volmes* available, usually for not much money. Most recent years
are available; the early 70s are hard to come by. There is also available
a contents concordance. I would recommend a new member acquiring
vols. 17, 16, 15 at least, maybe also 14. I do not have in front of me
the exact pricing but full volumes are available for at most $22
and probably less.

The writing is sensible,
not terribly technical, science-oriented but firmly and constantly music-
loving, skeptical, informed, etc. Twice a year there are thorough
CES show summaries.

The BASS contains no advertising and, for that matter, makes
no endorsements.
Writers of meeting summaries are paid $100. Current circulation and
membership are in the 150-300 range. Volunteers and contributing
writers are always needed -- you may go on to become famous!

Check it out if you are really into audio and have an open mind.
Being the BAS is like being on netnews only more efficient and
less time-consuming, overall.

David Moran