[rec.audio.high-end] mis-attribution/Calrec mike

Steve_Graham@ub.cc.umich.edu (11/27/90)

In the last issue someone attributed to me a quote that was by someone else.
I've never been at U of IL and never have used Sony DATs.

The Calrec soundfield mike is rather an unusual beast.  It was developed
in for "ambisonics" use.  Ambisonics attempts to record and reconstruct
the original sound field as closely as is practically possible, and for
full effectiveness requires four channels of recording.  Any number
of playback channels are theoretically possible.  The Calrec system
comes with a controller that allows a great deal of control over perspective.
It can also be used in two-channel mode, as a stereo mike.

Nimbus uses ambisonics for recording their albums.

I have not used the Calrec or ambisonics myself.  I did hear a demonstration
of the mike with four channel playback, but the room and speaker placement
were very far from ideal.  Under those conditions I was not impressed.

The stereo recordings that I know to have been produced with the Calrec
have generally tended to sound like other coincident-miked recordings; that
is, lacking in depth, but with good left-right imaging.  I must say that I
like the sound of Michael Hedges' album, "Watching my Life", which used
this mike, but it the signal has also been processed with reverb and what not.

chrisc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Chris Christensen) (11/27/90)

I don't agree that to fully realize the Ambisonic microphone it is
necessary to have a four channel set up.  That doubles the chance for error
and puts you in the Quadraphonic mode of listening.

I was at AES a couple of years ago and I walked past the Ambisonic booth.
There sat a guy with headphones on.  The person demonstration the mic was
infront of the mic.  I stopped to talk to someone and the guy with the phones
on turned around and looked directly at me.  He was just as suprised as I was
that he could accurately locate my voice as I was behind him.

Chris Christensen

sklower%okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Sklower) (11/28/90)

In article <7877@uwm.edu> Steve_Graham@ub.cc.umich.edu writes:
>Nimbus uses ambisonics for recording their albums.

About a year or so ago, somebody offered such a microphone for
sale over the net.  I asked him if he was feeling generous to
send anything he had already typed in (even though I wasn't likely
to buy it but was curious).  Unfortunately I'e thrown the reply
away long since, but I do remember him saying that
nimbus had ceased using the  Calrec mike, and that instead
they were using 2 senheiser figure-of-8 mikes and a B&K omni.

The fellow made the claim that many op-amps were used in the
controller for the mic, and that the nimbus people felt that
made it sound ``over-processed''.

At the time, he was offering it for $3k, when it had sold for $6K new.

  Keith Sklower				Computer Science Dept.
  sklower@okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU		570 Evans Hall
  (415) 642-9587			University of California
  H: (415) 863-0990			Berkeley, CA  94720