[rec.audio.high-end] Calrec mike

moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) (11/28/90)

Chris Christensen writes:

 > I was at AES a couple of years ago and I walked past the Ambisonic
 > booth.  There sat a guy with headphones on.  The person
 > demonstration the mic was infront of the mic.  I stopped to talk to
 > someone and the guy with the phones on turned around and looked
 > directly at me.  He was just as suprised as I was that he could
 > accurately locate my voice as I was behind him.

Well, here I go climbing on my binaural recording soapbox again.

If that fellow was wearing a set of binaural microphones along with
his headphones he not only could've located you, but he could've told
you how tall you were, whether you were facing away or towards him, in
what direction (if any) you were moving, and what the acoustic
character of the room was.  In fact, if the mikes and headphones were
really good, he might've confused the headphone feed with his unaided
hearing.

Obligatory plug: I build two nice sets of miniature binaural
microphones that are wonderful for taping concerts and lectures.
Details sent upon request.

Len Moskowitz
moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu
moskowitz@atc.bendix.com

chrisc%gold.gvg.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Chris Christensen) (11/30/90)

In article <7911@uwm.edu> moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) writes:

>Chris Christensen writes:
>
> > I was at AES a couple of years ago and I walked past the Ambisonic
> > booth.  There sat a guy with headphones on.  The person
> > demonstration the mic was infront of the mic.  I stopped to talk to
> > someone and the guy with the phones on turned around and looked
> > directly at me.  He was just as suprised as I was that he could
> > accurately locate my voice as I was behind him.
>
>Well, here I go climbing on my binaural recording soapbox again.
>
>If that fellow was wearing a set of binaural microphones along with
>his headphones he not only could've located you, but he could've told
>you how tall you were, whether you were facing away or towards him, in
>what direction (if any) you were moving, and what the acoustic
>character of the room was.  In fact, if the mikes and headphones were
>really good, he might've confused the headphone feed with his unaided
>hearing.

The "room" was the LA Convention Center and the person DID locate me
and my height and the fact that I was talking to my twin brother!!!!

>Obligatory plug: I build two nice sets of miniature binaural
>microphones that are wonderful for taping concerts and lectures.
>Details sent upon request.
>
>Len Moskowitz
>moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu
>moskowitz@atc.bendix.com

The Ambisonic microphone and my comments about it have absolutely nothing to
do with the recording technique or the evalueation of the microphone using
headphones.

But since you opend the door.......

There is much disagreement about recording techniques.  You seem to really like Bi-naural recordings.  I perfer usind a Triad.  It sounds equally well on
headphones as on speakers.

It is difficult to disect asd discuss recording techniques in print buy I am
willing to exchange recordings with anyone who wishes to debate technique.
There should be some ground rules like you engineere the project or actually
Present at the session or at the least have documentation that supports how the
recording was actually done.

Most of my recordings are in the analog domain and are live recordings of
classical concert material.

I hope that everyone who chooses to participate in this "challenge" will
consider it a learning/exchange of ideas and not a recording technique
"Shoot Out!"

Chris Christensen