[rec.audio.high-end] speaker recommendations <$2500

spowers@BBN.COM (Stephen B Powers) (12/13/90)

I will be replacing my Dahlquist DQ-10s early next year and am looking for
recommendations on what is worth listening to. I listened to the Vandersteen
2cis, the Magnepan 2.6s, the Apogee ??s and some B&Ws last night. For my
money, the Vandersteens and the Maggies appealed to me the most.

I was fortunate to listen to them with the same power amp I have, (Bryston 2B)
so didn't worry about them sounding different when I got home (other than the
room characteristics). I also realize that it's wht YOU hear and not what the
spec says, although specs may lead you to listen to one speaker over another.

I figure that I will spend no more than $2500 and am interested in what others
think I should check out. The rest of the components are Sony ESD (Digital Pre-
amp, CDP-15 CD changer).

thanks

- steve
+-----------------+------------------------------+----------------------------+
| steve powers    | the previous drivel is mine  | bbn systems & technologies |
| spowers@bbn.com | and is guaranteed not to rip,| 14100 se 36th street       |
| (206) 746-6800  | rattle or run down your leg  | bellevue, washington 98006 |
+-----------------+------------------------------+----------------------------+

biesel@imp.UUCP (Heiner Biesel) (12/14/90)

In article <8303@uwm.edu> spowers@BBN.COM (Stephen B Powers) writes:

>I will be replacing my Dahlquist DQ-10s early next year and am looking for
>recommendations on what is worth listening to. I listened to the Vandersteen
>2cis, the Magnepan 2.6s, the Apogee ??s and some B&Ws last night. For my
>money, the Vandersteens and the Maggies appealed to me the most.

Give the JSE Infinite Slope speakers a listen. I've got a pair of the model
1, which I bought after listening to so me Thiels, Accustats, Polks and sundry others. The main claim to fame of these speakers is the *very* steep cutoff
slope of the crossovers (> 60 dB per octave). For a 5-way system this means
that essentially only one speaker is active at any frequency, thus avoiding
distortions due to multiple sound sources. Be aware, though, that they are
fairly critical in regard to room placement and listening position. The stereo
image is best within a fairly small envelope. Sonic holography can greatly
improve upon this.

Regards,
       Heiner.

"Fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an occasion."

                                              F. Leghorn

jeffo@uwm.edu (Jeff Omelchuck) (12/14/90)

I like my Nelson-Reeds a lot.  I've had them for a couple years now.
I first listened to them critically at CES a couple years back and
they blew the doors off some of the MUCH pricier stuff.  Don't know
where to find them or how much they cost new but I see them in
AudioMart once in awhile. Good Luck!

Jeff Omelchuck - Portland, OR