[rec.audio.high-end] Building amplifiers and speakers.

henry@ginger.sri.com (Henry Pasternack) (12/18/90)

   Hi.  I just discovered that by kludging my '.newsrc' file I could
read this newsgroup, whereas before I could not.  Will wonders never
cease?

   I get the impression there are some serious homebrewers floating
around here.  I have met a few through 'rec.audio'.  Is there anyone
else doing serious design and construction of audio equipment?  I'm
especially interested in discussing power amplifier design issues.

-Henry

wtr@moss.att.com (Bill Rankin) (12/20/90)

In article <8429@uwm.edu> henry@ginger.sri.com writes:

>   I get the impression there are some serious homebrewers floating
>around here.  I have met a few through 'rec.audio'.  Is there anyone
>else doing serious design and construction of audio equipment?  I'm
>especially interested in discussing power amplifier design issues.

>-Henry

Me too! (moi aussi?)

I had never taken a real close look at schematics for audio amps
until I picked up a used Dyna preamp a couple weeks ago.
(Thanx, Alan, and sorry for being such a pain in ***! :-)

After looking over the circuit diagram for the phono and preamp
stage, my thoughts were "Hey,.. This ain't a real complex circuit."
Seriously, I had seen worse in my old days as an undergrad EE.

(Before the flames start, I *know* that there is much more to a
amplifier than just a circuit on paper :-)

So, I've been bitten.  Firstoff, though, are plans to build some
replacement speakers for my old advents (currently thinking of
a slight modification to one of the Audio Concept kits).  After this,
I would be very interrested in working on a power amp design.

Hmmm,... glass or silicon,...? ;-)

If there is anyone out there who subscribes to "Audio Amateur",
could you comment on if there have been any recent articles on
basic amp design?  I'm thinking about ordering a set of back
issues and would like any recommendations on which set would be
best.  (I'm assuming that AA is like SpeakerBuilder and only puts
out back issues by the year)

Thanks for the help!

-bill

Bill Rankin				email address:	att!moss!wtr
was: Bell Labs, Whippany NJ				att!bromo!wtr
now: AT&T Federal Systems, Burlington NC  (919) 228 3673 (cornet 291)