[rec.audio.high-end] Deliberately designed to measure great AND sound rotten

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (12/17/90)

A long while back I remember reading an article that said (roughly) the
following.

        Just because measurements on a piece of equipment show low Total
     Harmonic Distortion or low IM distortion or flat frequency response
     within +/- 0.05 dB, doesn't guarantee it will sound good.  A stunning
     demonstration and Proof of this hypothesis was presented by
     Mr. xxxx [ don't remember name ] at the recent yyyy meeting.

        Mr. xxxx exhibited a small aluminum box which was placed in series
     with the tape loop of a $nn,000 preamplifier.  THD, IM, and frequency
     response were measured with the box in the loop and with the box
     removed from the loop.  The preamp's measurements were identical,
     box-in vs. box-out.  Measurement resolution was 0.01% for distortion,
     +/- 0.05 dB for frequency response.  Then, after the measurements,
     the audience was asked to listen to the preamp, with and without
     the aluminum box.  Everyone agreed that the box's presence
     changed the sound from good to horrible even though the
     measurements predicted identical sound.  So the aluminum box
     "Measured Perfect, Sounded Awful."

Question: if *you* had to present such a demo, what would *you* put
          in the little metal box?

(I _think_ I remember what the article claimed Mr. xxxx put in his box,
but [i] my recollection could be wrong; [ii] netters' ideas for
sound-lousy-measure-great contraptions might prove even more clever.)
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

noamb@over.cs.caltech.edu (Noam Bernstein) (12/26/90)

One such box I've heard measured perfectly in every measurement anyone (at
some audio engineering society meeting) could come up with, except listening
to music.  With actual music, the sound sucked.  It was a digital circuit
which looked for symmetrical waveforms.  When the input was symmetrical,
it shorted the input to the output.  When it wasn't symmetrical, it didn't
conduct.

					noamb@over.cs.caltech.edu

sethb@Morgan.COM (Seth Breidbart) (12/28/90)

In article <8551@uwm.edu> noamb@over.cs.caltech.edu (Noam Bernstein) writes:
>One such box I've heard measured perfectly in every measurement anyone (at
>some audio engineering society meeting) could come up with, except listening
>to music.  With actual music, the sound sucked.  It was a digital circuit
>which looked for symmetrical waveforms.  When the input was symmetrical,
>it shorted the input to the output.  When it wasn't symmetrical, it didn't
>conduct.

That's an interesting idea.  How did it handle the following test:

Play music through it.  Subtract the output from the input.  Take the ratio
of the power of the result to the power of the input (that is, the ratio of
the integral of the square of the voltages).

In some sense, that's a measure of distortion.  0 is shorting the input to
the output, 1 is an open circuit (output = 0).  You might want to "normalize"
the output by multiplying by a constant before subtracting, using the
constant that minimizes the resulting measure.  This lets a perfect amplifier
score 0.

It should also be fairly easy to design a box that has wonderful specs when
played into a resistor, but which has terrible specs (and sounds terrible)
when played into a "real" speaker.

Seth			sethb@fid.morgan.com

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (01/03/91)

>     Everyone agreed that the box's presence
>     changed the sound from good to horrible even though the
>     measurements predicted identical sound.

I _think_ I remember that the article said the box contained:
     A timer and a DPDT mercury-wetted-relay.

     The relay shorts the signal output to ground for 1.0 milliseconds.
     This occurs once every N seconds (N=4??).  Enough to drive
     listeners batty but not enough to perturb the measurement gear.