[rec.audio.high-end] Beyond the wall imaging

Len%AIP1%TSD%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET (01/09/91)

Raymond Chowkwanyun wrote:

 > Has anyone ever experienced a soundstage that extends past the
 > physical side walls of the listening room?  Keith doesn't say how far
 > his speakers are from the back wall, but I assume there's a good
 > chance it's less than the 7 feet he experiences.  I've also heard
 > music seeming to emanate from beyond the back wall, but the side
 > walls? I've never heard a soundstage go beyond the side walls.
 > -- ray

On Stereophile's test CD there's a beautifully recorded performance of a
solo piano work (Chopin I think).  At the very end the stage manager
says "Bravo!" from the far left of the stage.  On my system (an elderly
Sony CD player connected directly into an Adcom GFA-535 driving a pair
of modified Dynaco A-25 speakers) the voice comes very distinctly from
somewhere beyond my living room's left wall.  Startled me quite a bit!

By the way, my speakers are placed well out into the room.

Len Moskowitz