[rec.audio.high-end] interesting images was: Beyond the wall imaging

lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) (01/10/91)

In article <8770@uwm.edu> Len%AIP1%TSD%atc.bendix.com@RELAY.CS.NET writes:

>On Stereophile's test CD there's a beautifully recorded performance of a
>solo piano work (Chopin I think).  At the very end the stage manager
>says "Bravo!" from the far left of the stage. ...  Startled me quite a bit!

these are a few of my favourites,

1.
About 1:37 into the 2nd movement of Eine Kleine NachtMusik by von Karajan
on DG (cd also has Grieg's Holberg and Prokovief's classical symphony )

man whispers to neighbour "He's rushing" (which of course he was :-).  The
voice appears to be about 1.5 rows ahead of me, slightly to the left, way
out in front of the speakers. The first time i heard it I cast a glare
before i realized that i was alone.

2.
Stop! (Sam Browne, 1990). The title track has the female vocalist about
2 inches from your face, VERY real.

3.
Night and Day (Joe Jackson)
Most of the album is pretty bland, imaging-wise, but at the end of _cancer_
there suddenly leaps out a bongo-solo from the left side -- so far forward
it is almost beside me.

4.
Harry Connick Jr. (We are in Love, 1990) The track _It's_all_right_with_me_
features a vocol solo at the start, and just before the band starts up, he
leans back and to his right and shouts "ohhhh", the effect is quite
interesting.

--
Lance R. Bailey  Systems Manager        box: Robarts Research Institute
          email: lrb@rri.uwo.ca              Clinical Trials Resources Group