[rec.audio.high-end] Laser turntables

cowles@convex.com (John Cowles) (01/14/91)

During a recent visit to Japan I got a chance to play with a laser
turntable. The turn table was (I think) made by a company in Germany,
and could play 78's as well as 33 1/3rpm and 45's. The documentation was
in English and Japanese. From the owner's hints, I would guess that the
equipment was VERY expensive.

One of the controls allowed the user to vary the width and depth of the
laser beam. On the whole, although I was VERY excited by the possibility
of playing records with a laser stylus, I was disappointed with the
performance. Especially with 78's it sounded as though it was mistracking.
One of the things one would like to do with an adjustable laser stylus (at
least one of the things I would like to do :-)! ) is to play the top of
the groove, where a conventional needle/stylus has not played havoc with
the recorded information.

Does anyone have any information about this beast?
Price/performance/availability/futures?

Thanks,

John Cowles
cowles@hydra.convex.com
Convex Computer Corp.
3000 Waterview Parkway
Richardson, Tx
214-497-4375

Janne.Anttila@lut.fi (Janne Anttila) (01/15/91)

John> During a recent visit to Japan I got a chance to play with a laser
John> turntable. The turn table was (I think) made by a company in Germany,
John> and could play 78's as well as 33 1/3rpm and 45's. The documentation was
John> in English and Japanese. From the owner's hints, I would guess that the
John> equipment was VERY expensive.

My guess is that you've seen a Finial laser turntable. At least I haven't
heard of any other laser turntable. It's actually made by an american
company. They had really big trouble developing the player and its first
appearance was about two years later than it should have been. And yes,
it is VERY expensive. 40 000 dollars or something like that.

--

janttila@kannel.lut.fi------------------------------
-----Janne Anttila, p. 953-26292--------------------

hans@smab.se (Hans C Larsson) (01/16/91)

cowles@convex.com (John Cowles) writes:

>During a recent visit to Japan I got a chance to play with a laser
>turntable. The turn table was (I think) made by a company in Germany,
>and could play 78's as well as 33 1/3rpm and 45's. The documentation was
>in English and Japanese. From the owner's hints, I would guess that the
>equipment was VERY expensive.

>One of the controls allowed the user to vary the width and depth of the
>laser beam. On the whole, although I was VERY excited by the possibility
>of playing records with a laser stylus, I was disappointed with the
>performance. Especially with 78's it sounded as though it was mistracking.
>One of the things one would like to do with an adjustable laser stylus (at
>least one of the things I would like to do :-)! ) is to play the top of
>the groove, where a conventional needle/stylus has not played havoc with
>the recorded information.

It's called Finial and is orginially a American product (!)
but the product was sold to Japan when it became clear that
the sound quality is substandard and the equipment is prohibitivly
expensive (~ $ 15000 - $ 20000). It's sole remeding feature is that
it does not (as CD...) cause any wear. It's main problem seems to
be that the laser picks up dust particles very well whereas a
traditional pickup plows it's way through the dust (and the record...).
        Hans C Larsson			Email:	hans@smab.se
	Saab Missiles, Sweden		Motto:	"keep it short"

simond@uunet.UU.NET (Simon David) (01/16/91)

In article <8896@uwm.edu> cowles@convex.com (John Cowles) writes:

>During a recent visit to Japan I got a chance to play with a laser
>turntable. The turn table was (I think) made by a company in Germany,
>and could play 78's as well as 33 1/3rpm and 45's. The documentation was
>in English and Japanese. From the owner's hints, I would guess that the
>equipment was VERY expensive.

I think this is the Finial turntable now being produced in Japan. The
project has taken a long time to produce any thing and has been droped
and restarted by another company. They _are_ very expensive, about 20,000
UK pounds was once quoted but i believe that will change.

>One of the controls allowed the user to vary the width and depth of the
It was reviewed in the UK rag Hi-Fi News & Record Review where it got a
positive but guarded reception. It was liked for the lack of normal
turntable nasties (pitch instability, rumble) but was a real pain with
anything other than records in perfect condition. A disk washer had to be
used before playing each record. There was an anti click feature that did
not work too well but the thing did actually seem to work.

For a record library unwilling to let a lump of diamond touch their records
it would be ideal when fully debugged, but at the moment it is a bit too
much money and trouble for mere mortals.

>cowles@hydra.convex.com
>Convex Computer Corp.
>3000 Waterview Parkway
>Richardson, Tx