[rec.audio.high-end] Fixed Machines, Adaptable Humans

dafuller%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (David Fuller) (01/16/91)

Folks,

There has been spirited debate among the various acolytes of the high
end regarding this, that, or the other product and its effect on the audio
sound and food chain.  I recently read an article by Bob Carver on the
emperical effects of altering the impedence relationship between amp and
speakers.  It spurred me to consider some long-held beliefs.  When I read
about some new high-end widget (my favorite is the Clock) I felt it was
time to write.

Regardless of what you think of Carver's philosophy, the fact remains that
humans are ultimately more malleable than equipment.  As a professional
empericist and closet philosopher (regarding the history and philosophy
of technlogy), I have often been struck by the lack of debate regarding
the mind's abilities to adapt.

The fact seems to me that humans possess an ability to adapt their
perceptions which is not met in reality by an equal ability to analyze
these effects.  I know that if I have a hangover my stereo is
relatively uninteresting.  I also know that if I am an interested and
sympathetic listener to a performance I can work around the acknowledged
defects of the recording; and marvel at the artistic and personal
accomplishments contained therein.

I also know that if I've converted a significant amount of my personal
productivity (blood and sweat) into a purchase I'm Real Interested in
its positive influence on my audio system.  And I tend to make it so
regardless of its analytic merits.

Frankly, I'm more interested in media than equipment and I can't hardly
claim to have anything resembling a state of the art system; given the
choice between $5000 of widgets and $5000 of media, I'll take the media
any day because for me, the widgets don't communicate as well as media.

This does not mean that I dislike design.  I enjoy reading about designers
and I also enjoy thinking about their relationship to science and alchemy;
as an empericist I tend to feel alchemist fools and I rever the religion
called science.  So be it.  I was born in the 20th century and so my
horizons are bound by it.

But the paradox remains: Why do we not pay more attention to the state
of the listener than the state of the equipment?  What is it that
makes certain listeners Professionals?  And how are we sure that they are
not otherwise affected by external influences on the day of review?

Your comments solicited,

Dave
--
Dave Fuller
Sequent Computer Systems		  Think of this as the hyper-signature.

chowkwan@priam.usc.edu (Raymond Chowkwanyun) (01/17/91)

In article <8978@uwm.edu> dafuller%sequent.uucp@RELAY.CS.NET (David Fuller) writes:

>Frankly, I'm more interested in media than equipment and I can't hardly

For you classical listeners, may I commend the American Record Guide?
This magazine is to the classical media what Absolute Sound is to
the equipment.  What I like is that the reviewers will not only
tell you their opinion of a recording but also compare it with
other performances of the same piece.  Also, each issue brings
a survey of particular musical forms or a composer.
e.g. Piano Trios Overview, Romantic Concertos Overview,
J.S. Bach Overview, etc.

Caveats: (1) their font is an assault on the eyes and (2) bowing
to market realities, they review only CD's.

>of the listener than the state of the equipment?  What is it that
>makes certain listeners Professionals?  And how are we sure that they are
>not otherwise affected by external influences on the day of review?

The Test of Time earns the title of "Golden Ears".  When Pearson
describes a product and you go out and you confirm with your
own ears what he has found, his credibility goes up a notch.
And then his credibility accrues with each succeeding description
that proves accurate.  Works the other way too, of course.
viz the Armor All fiasco at Stereophile.

Time is also the answer to your second question.  Reviewers do
not base their opinions on a single day's review.
Bob Greene: One of the most important things a reviewer can do
is to direct the reader's attention to things that might be
potential annoyances in long-term listening.
These guys really sweat over a review.  Trying different recordings,
different ancilliary equipment, various tweaks to get the
best out of the piece under review.

-- ray