[rec.audio.high-end] Noisy Adcom GTP-400 tuner/preamp

xiaohan@engin.umich.edu (Xiaohan Wang) (01/16/91)

The other day I accidentally compared the headphone output of my CD
player and the headphone output of my tuner/preamp Adcom GTP-400.
To my great surprise, the output of the GTP-400 is a lot noisier
than that of the CD player. Is this normal, or is it some kind of
defects with my (4 month-old) GTP-400? I'm going to call Adcom.
I'd also like to hear from other GTP-400 owners in the netland
about their experience and comments.

XH Wang

peter@apple.com (Peter Tapscott ) (01/18/91)

In article <8975@uwm.edu> you write:
>The other day I accidentally compared the headphone output of my CD
>player and the headphone output of my tuner/preamp Adcom GTP-400.
>To my great surprise, the output of the GTP-400 is a lot noisier
>than that of the CD player. Is this normal, or is it some kind of
>defects with my (4 month-old) GTP-400? I'm going to call Adcom.
>I'd also like to hear from other GTP-400 owners in the netland
>about their experience and comments.
>
>XH Wang

Have you been following the interconnect discussion in
rec.audio?  Perhaps that discussion should really be taking place
in this forum, since disagreements so quickly digress into
name calling in rec.audio.

At any rate, the problem could be with your preamp or your
interconnects.  If you have a lot of equipment with transformers
and line cords near your interconnect cable, using a better
interconnect may help.  This posting discusses interconnects;
preamp problems will have to be covered by other postings.

To summarize my assertions in rec.audio about interconnects:
my current favorite interconnect is a twisted-pair shielded
cable with the shield connected at the source end and insulated
at the other end.  The twisted pair are used to carry the signal
and the return, while the shield carries no signal (only noise).

I was suprised when I changed from some ~$20 coaxial cable to
the twisted-pair shielded: the noise was significantly lower.
(This was observed by listening with Stax headphones.)

Interconnects like these can be made from parts from Old Colony.
The cost is ~$15 for 4 connectors, and $1.25/foot for cable,
so a 3-foot pair costs about $22.50.  This seems a lot
cheaper than Monster twisted-pair shielded interconnects.
(I don't remember the price, but Monster has a number of lower
priced shielded cables, but the twisted-pair shielded cables
are significantly more expensive.)

To support my observations, Seth Bradley posted this excerpt
from a book noise reduction:
In article <21293@versatc.versatec.COM> peter@versatc.UUCP writes:
>Perhaps Seth should post his source of information on noise
>reduction, or quote a couple lines?

The book is "Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems", by Henry W.
Ott.  Published by John Wiley & Sons, 1976.  Its an excellent reference
for anyone who has to deal with noise and grounding issues in electronic
applications.  Here's a few pertinent quotes:

"A coaxial cable grounded at one point provides a good degree of protection
from capacitive pickup.  But if a noise current flows in the shield, a
noise voltage is produced.  Its magnitude is equal to the shield current
times the shield resistance.  Since the shield is part of the signal path,
this noise voltage appears as noise in series with the input signal.  A
double-shielded, or triaxial, cable with insulation between the two shields
can eliminate the noise produced by the shield resisatnce.  The noise
current flows in the outer shield, and the signal current flows in the
inner shield.  The two currents (signal and noise), therefore, do not
flow through a common impedance."

 "A shielded twisted pair has characteristics similar to a triaxial cable
 and is not as expensive or awkward.  The signal current flows in the two
 inner conductors, and any noise currents flow in the shield.  Common-res-
 istance coupling is eliminated.  In addition, any shield current is coupled
 equally into both inner conductors by mutual inductance, and the voltages
 therefore cancel."

 "The shielded twisted pair provides the best shielding for low-frequency
 signals, in which magnetic pickup is the major problem."

 (low frequency is typically defined here as < 100KHz).
 --
 Seth J. Bradley   Address: sjb@dalek.iwarp.intel.com
						Or: dalek.UUCP!sjb